icon

kicker 1500.1 amp cut out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dereileak 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2010 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I have a kicker zx1500.1 amp and man does it push my 2 cvx's 15's like heaven. But sometimes randomly at high volumes it just randomly shuts down and its for about 5 seconds and then comes back on. I havnt not been able to go back and check in time to see if its the protection circuit or what. I have 0/1 gauge wire ran back to it, same with the ground, but a stock alternator which I believe is 125 amps, its a dodge grand caravan 3.3l v6 Se, so upgraded alternator from the base model. I had the amp hooked up through best buy, as I work there and get a discount. The amp is brand new and works great otherwise, I set my gain with a voltage meter, at 2 ohms. Some people say if your system is pulling more then what your car can give that it will cut out. I have not been able to measure voltage while it is running at all sadly, the neighbors would not like that, I am putting a voltage meter in once my order gets here though. After it does this though I go back and feel the amp, and its still COLD, and I repeat COLD to the touch, it doesnt even feel like it has an heat to it at all, and the subs are also cold, its 48 degrees here, but thats with pushing them for about 4-5 minutes really hard, about up to what I set my deck at when setting the voltage for my amp's gain. So do you have any idea what is going on, is it something else? Thanks, I want to do the big 3, but my alternator is hard to get to for putting on a bigger gauge wire, but I know that would help, and a deep cycle battery as I have a normal starter battery, but it does produce 880 cold cranking amps, which is 150 above what its rated for. So let me know if you have any ideas, thanks!!
Viper 5902 - Ordered
Kicker Dual CVX 15's - Installed
Kicker ZX 1500.1 Amp - Installed
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2010 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
You set your gains with a volt meter at two ohms? Are you sure?
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
dereileak 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2010 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
yea, I played a 0db sound of 50 hz at 40/52 volume on my deck, and set the voltage at 51.4 at the amp which was what it said to set at for 1500 watts at 2 ohms, I have 2 DVC kicker 2ohms, so I wire each sub to 4 ohms, then wire together to bring back to 2 ohms
Viper 5902 - Ordered
nodiggie 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2010 at 1:32 AM / IP Logged  

Is the "close enough" rule 1amp for every 10watts of power? If this is so, you need 150a alternator output. If upgrading to H/O alternator is not an option I would say time for extra battery.

I think the factory alternator wire sounds suspect to me as well. You got it right from battery to amp and ground but haven't completed the Big3. You are right the Big3 will work wonders.

That's what I'd do next and then see if you still have the problem. I also think you are not getting enough power to the amp from your factory alternator.

Still learning
Kraco
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2010 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  

dereileak wrote:
yea, I played a 0db sound of 50 hz at 40/52 volume on my deck, and set the voltage at 51.4 at the amp which was what it said to set at for 1500 watts at 2 ohms, I have 2 DVC kicker 2ohms, so I wire each sub to 4 ohms, then wire together to bring back to 2 ohms

You learn something new everyday! kicker 1500.1 amp cut out -- posted image.

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
dereileak 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2010 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
what you mean you learned?
Viper 5902 - Ordered
dereileak 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2010 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
it was werid, like today I turned it WAY UP to probably around where my amp is at full power for a good 4 minutes, my ears STILLLLLLLL hurt, and it never cut out, it was fine then, but it just randomly would go out, I wonder if its just the CD skipping, both times it has happened i was playing a cd, I never though of that, hmmm, that makes sense now that I think about it
Viper 5902 - Ordered
dereileak 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2010 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
I played super loud where no one was around, playing 35/52, and it was soo loud, rattling my heart, I measured the voltage, it was 13.95 at the terminals, and only dropped to 13.90 during bass hits, I didnt even see a difference, that was right at the terminals, is the the correct spot to measure it for voltage drops, It didnt even drop at all, I dont know why, what the hell is going on, I am definatly doing the big 3 upgrade though, any one have suggestions for hooking the ends on the wire, I dont have a blow torch to solder them on.
Viper 5902 - Ordered

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic