icon

monoblock explanation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mastermindz 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2010 at 6:19 AM / IP Logged  
I have a kenwood 9103d, and I'm just trying to how the amp works and how it is different from other types of amps?
Mastermindz
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2010 at 7:05 AM / IP Logged  
There is no difference. Mono signal-non stereo, no left or right separation. Its class D, it only plays low Hz's(BASS) Its designed to run subwoofers only. Its 1 ohm stable. You can google mono, beyond that, what else do you need to know? Everything is in the manual. Is it not operating to expectation?
This is what I do for FUN!
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2010 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
mastermindz wrote:
I have a kenwood 9103d, and I'm just trying to how the amp works and how it is different from other types of amps?
lol, sounds like a salesman sold him the moon and the stars. LOL.
I would say that the most notable thing about the amp is that its a "class D' which means its higher efficiency. Which translates to better performance.
But all this jargon is really circumstantial. Is it the right amp for you? maybe. what kind of woofer do you have?
nodiggie 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2010 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
Mono amps are also single 1 channel amps. Class D, A/b, T. The way each class handles switching of current also varies. Class D being more efficient and thus runs cooler with less draw on electrical systems. Class D mono blocks typically produce higher distortion levels than say, class A/B but these are removed by the low pass filter.
In short mono amps amplify mono signal at high outputs which are perfect for sub applications.
Still learning
Kraco
mastermindz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2010 at 5:54 AM / IP Logged  
I'm trying to find the best way to wire my 15" kicker L7 4 ohm dvc sub to this amp, the amp is not bridgeable, but has to sets of terminals, do I wire the sub to only one set? Or each vc to it's own terminal? I think the amp is 2 ohm stable, but what would be better, the 2 ohm, or 8 ohm setup??
Mastermindz
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2010 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
You really don't have much choice in the matter. 2-ohm load will be the best in your case - the case for SPL - seeing as you chose 1: an L7, and 2: a Kenwood amplifier. The ULTIMATE "zero-regard-for-musical-reproduction" SPL combination. There is truly ZERO sense in "wasting" as much amp as you might by running 8-ohms to make any attempt at SQ, because you won't get any.
That being said, run one voice coil to each set of terminals. That will parallel them as far as the amp is concerned, and you'll be all set at 2-ohms.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
mastermindz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2010 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
K thanks, I'll wire each coil seperatly and see how it sounds
Mastermindz
mastermindz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2010 at 1:18 AM / IP Logged  
I wired them seperately to each terminal and amp
is goin into protect after few mins of hard bumping, would the input sensitivity or lpf be what's causing it?
Mastermindz

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic