icon

Power Antenna Help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Cletis 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2003 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
I drive a 98 VW GTI.  I bought the car with an aftermarket cd player already installed.  My car has the fuba antenna that needs 12 volts supplied directly to the coxial antenna lead.  You can buy an adapter from crutchfield that allows you to hook it up to the power antenna wire on the new deck, but whoever installed it decided to make things complicated.  The installer cut the VW antenna connector off, and crimped on one to fit after aftermarket units.  The adapter is meant to fit the VW style connector and not the regular motorolla style used on aftermarket units.  I get no AM, and poor FM reception because of this.  Does anyone know where I can get an adapter, or run 12 volts into the antrenna lead somehow.  Thanks.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2003 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
I've never seen a fuba antenna that I know of, and am having problems visualizing what you are asking for. But I think you're talking about where the RF adapter plugs into, correct? I ran some searches and came accross some info saying you can tap into the switched 12v for power to the antenna, but not how to do it. It's about 3/4 of the way down on this page. I'll keep look for ya and let you know if I find anything
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Cletis 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2003 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  
The fuba antenna is just the rear, roof mounted antenns on most newer vw's.  It is a powered antenna and need's 12V directly to the middle wire in the coaxial antenna cable.  The factory head unit provides the 12 volts directly to the cable, so when you use an after market head unit you have to buy an adapter to allow you to hook the power antenna lead from the head unit into the coaxial antenna cable.  The problem is that since the installer removed the vw style euro connector, and replaced it with the standard motorola type, the adapter would not fit. Thanks for the response, does this make more sense, if not let me know.
wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2003 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  
Perfect, thx. Do you know the model number of hte adapter that you bought?
Found some more info here.
Perhapse something like this would help? Or was the connector you mentioned cut at the headunit, not at the antenna?
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
Cletis 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2003 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  

I haven't bought the adapter yet but that's what im talking about, but the problem is at the head unit end not the antenna end.  Here's the adapter that I would need if the factory antenna connector hadn't been removed.  http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-eYVHXQS8qQT/ProdView.asp?i=097DIN12&id=morephotos&a=0&s=0&cc=01&g=119400 

The wire hanging off connects to the aftermarket power antenna lead and supplys the 12 volts to the coxial cable.  One end connects to an after market style antenna(motorola) and the other to the stock vw euro style.  The problem is that my vw end is gone and replaced with a motorola.  I need to find a similar adapter that instead of converts from euro to motorola, just goes motorola to motorola, and has the 12 volt hook up.  Thanks for all your help, does this finally make a little more sense to you.

wvsquirrel 
Posted: April 15, 2003 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  
It's making more and more. I'll keep looking and trying to help...
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
wvsquirrel 
Posted: April 15, 2003 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  
Have you tried looking here and see if you could maybe piece an adapter together?
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
Cletis 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2003 at 1:11 AM / IP Logged  

I havent' looked there, but that was the only thing that I can think of so far.  I was hoping to find a one piece adapter, but I don't think that I am going to be able to find one.  Would using multiple adapters cause any significant line losses?  I guess it would be better then the reception I am getting now.

wvsquirrel 
Posted: April 15, 2003 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  
I don't think it would be a problem as long as the connections were secure. If you started getting interfeerence, you might need to install a noise filter, but I think that would be about it. I wouldn't go out and buy one unless you felt you needed one, after you made the adapter though
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
Cletis 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2003 at 3:29 AM / IP Logged  

I guess I'm gonna try doing that.  I emailed a couple businesses and if they dont email me back thats the only thing I can do.  Thanks alot for all of your help and patience.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic