crossovers or caps for stock stereo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2010 at 5:58 AM / IP Logged  

Kids! ROFL!

Make sure the stereo can handle the impedance of the new speakers (if I recall, Infinity makes both 2 and 4ohm models).

Keep the bass down.

Keep the volume down.

No sort- of crossover is needed so long as the 3 previous pieces of advice are followed. The only kind- of 'bass blocker' that is needed is common sense. There is no way that factory stereo can overpower them. Ever.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
nismo542 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2010 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  

use non-polarized capacitor 100uF. 

cvame 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2010 at 3:43 AM / IP Logged  

@ jmelton - I wish i could make sure they keep the bass down, but im hardly in the car and when they're with momma, they adjust the bass then (hard headed) Anyways, the stock stereo wont mess up these infinity's? They are 60rms, and im sure that factory deck isnt putting out much more then 20rms if that, right?

@ nismo- so are the caps i got not good?

Thanks a million guys, i really appreciate it.

oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2010 at 4:03 AM / IP Logged  
Nismo used the correct term (non-polarised - I said "bipolarised" ... get what sort of people I deal with...)
Speaker signals are AC hence there is no + or - polarity as in "DC".
Standard electrolytic caps are polar - they have a + and a - end.
Non-polarised are designed for AC signals (& preempting technoheads... "with insufficient DC offset").   
Your polarised caps are not suitable for speaker signals.
cvame 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2010 at 4:33 AM / IP Logged  

@ old spark - wow thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately, what you said is way over my head when it comes to this stuff....my bad.  So the "bass blockers" i bought at the stereo shop are not good?  Where can i get the ones you recommend or what do you advise i specifically ask for at the stereo shop?  (Im beginning think maybe glueing the bass adjustment knob in place on the stereo might be an easier fix ..lol.)

Thank you

cvame 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2010 at 4:43 AM / IP Logged  
 Im sorry "old spark', i just noticed nismos previous post. So start looking for a "non-polarized capacitor 100uf"?
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2010 at 4:47 AM / IP Logged  
I'm just saying it <whatever> capacitor(s) was/were advised, they need to be non-polar. (And Nismo agrees.)
The advice to connect capacitor + to speaker + is misleading, irrelevant, wrong...
Hence "non-polar" caps of whatever size others have suggested...
But if others repeat that <whatever> is acceptable, I won't argue...
cvame 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2010 at 5:09 AM / IP Logged  

I copy, make sure any caps installed are "non-polarized".  I assume the "A66 66MFD 100WV, NP 85c B12" that i have are polarized?

Thanks again Old Spark

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 06, 2010 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  

Here are some links so you can get to know capacitors a little.  You are looking for a cap that is designed to be used in a crossover function.

http://www.parts-express.com/non-polorized-electrolytic-capacitors.cfm

http://www.parts-express.com/crossover-capacitor-index.cfm

http://www.tedss.com/list/capacitors.asp

http://www.tedss.com/list/capacitors.asp?capacitance=100uF

https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/cross.asp#hp

In your post above, the term " NP 85c B12 " refers to a non-polarized cap by the use of the NP in its name.   In the " A66 66MFD 100WV ", the 66MFD is read as 66 micro farads and is aka 66 uF.   And, anything you buy that has the name "bass blocker" is intended to be used with AC audio and would be non-polarized.  You just match the impedance (eg 4 ohms) of the cap to the speaker.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
cvame 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2010 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you very much for the links Steve, ive been up all night on the internet trying to research a better understanding of capacitors.

I called the local radio shack, they have some 100uf, 50v 's.  What is the audible effect difference between a 100uf and a 66uf?  The 66uf's i have blocked alot of bass, id like to let more mid bass pass through if i could. 

Thank you

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic