icon

lock actuator not strong enough on matrix

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
karrde 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2010 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
I'm working on my parent's 2003 Toyota Matrix. It was the cheapest package, so no power lock/windows, etc. I'm trying to add keyless entry with 4 lock actuators. The Matrix uses a cable lock system so I bought 4 special brackets to help with the installation. I hooked up the actuator but it's not strong enough to push or pull the cable to lock/unlock the door.
Are all lock actuators created basically equal? Or are some stronger than others? I just bought the cheaper ones off a large online retailer (I think they were $5.99 each or something). Are there stronger lock actuators anyone can recommend, or maybe I'm doing something wrong with the install? Here's a pic of the bracket installed in the door:
lock actuator not strong enough on matrix -- posted image.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2010 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
You should try adjusting the install. The actuator needs to mounted more securely so as it won't move with the stress of being activated. The geometry of the rod isn't the best. Try adjusting the rod so it only has one 90 degree bend at the motor and is parallel to the cable. Trim the excess rod off too. Make sure that all wire connections are good. You need to install another screw in the cable adaptor so it won't move when used. When things flex in the door lock assembly, you will lose power to move them. The motion must also be as smooth as possible. The actuators may also need to be replaced if they still aren't strong enough, but even good ones will suffer if the install isn't right.
sparky
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2010 at 2:55 AM / IP Logged  
Concur with sparkie, the photo looks like you will get fore and aft movement on the actuator. Change the brackets. Also move the cable holder to the right so you have a 2 screw fixing. The outer cable sleeve must have NO movement. Always make sure it works smoothly mechanically before doing the electrics. Yes some actuators, e.g. MES are better than others but initially they all have the same pulling power, the more expensive actuators are simply quieter, smoother and last longer.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2010 at 6:52 AM / IP Logged  
I've done a bunch of them and i gotta say the cables move very easily. Looking at the picture, did you remove the inner plastic coating from the inside cable? There should be outer plastic coating, the stranded shield, an inner plastic coating that protects the cable, then the cable itself.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
dvaldez0989 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2010 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  
i know this is off topic but where can i buy these brackets for the cable system?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2010 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
DEI, MES, Spal over here our equivalent companies to Metra/Scosche etc. sell them.
karrde 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2010 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  

It may not look it, but the actuator is mounted very securely and doesn't move at all. Neither did the bracket. I only tried one of my actuators, so it's possible it is broken. I'll try a different one when I get the time and try to adjust the bracket positioning.

Oh and yes, I did strip away all three layers around the inner cable.

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2010 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  

I've done quite alot as well with those cable systems, They do move easily, the mounting is the tricky part in my opinion!  Is any movement occuring during lock and unlock!

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2010 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  
Have you actually tried to move it by hand to see how easily it moves?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2010 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
How is this all wired up?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic