icon

desperately seeking accumatch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
purplexcel 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2003 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  

Hey folks. I'm building a system in a 88 Nissan Stanza. To make a long story short...I'm using some older equipment,a Rockford Power 650 and a Phoenix Gold MPS 2240. I plan to use the PG to drive my new JL 12w7 because it's a high current amp. The JL is a 3ohm speaker. The amp is stable to 1ohm mono and will put out nearly 600 watts. I need to know where I can find a Veritas Accumatch am-1200. I've tried to contact Veritas but to no avail. Does anyone know if they are still in business? They don't respond to emails or phone calls,and I can't find one on ebay. Any suggestons?Thanks in advance

drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  
I have no idea what that Accumatch AM-1200 is, however all I can personally provide you with is some information that I personally have on Veritas.
Veritas Audio Technologies
3025 Trotters Prky.
Alpharetta, GA 30004
Phone (770) 754-5050
Fax: (770) 754-5054
www.virtual-technologies.com
Please advise, about the AM-1200, what is it?
purplexcel 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
Veritas accumatch am-1200 is a impedance matching transformer. It makes your amp see whatever impedance you set for it to see. In other words,if you have a 4ohm sub,you can make the amp see more load,so it puts out more power. Veritas makes these units,or at least they used to,but I can't find anyone who knows about them around here.(Columbus,Ohio)
Powerslave0 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
Personally, I never paid much attention to the Loads. I have been putting stereo systems in for 13 years, and have never had a system blow up or anything because I used 2ohm speakers on a 4ohm amp, or vice versa.
SO, you have an amp at 1ohm at 600watts, you use the 3ohm speaker and get maybe 400watts out of it instead. Thats as BASIC as I can put it. The amp will wok harder at the MAX volume, but just keep it level and you should be ok.
I use 2ohm and 4ohm amps, but all my speakers are 4ohm or better, and have no problems in my Avenger. Clean sound, and obnoxious bass. . .   My amps actually have specification sheets explaining the power output to ohm speakers used, starting at 1ohm, to 4.
The biggest MISCONCEPTION with amps, is you HAVE to use 2ohm speakers on a 2ohm rated amp, and so on. That is not the case at all in MOST cases. I use 4ohm speakers on a 2ohm amp, I just get less volume out of the 4ohm speaker.
Now, If you were to Parallel two 3ohm speakers into your amp, it then sees a 1.5ohm load, and the power us just split between both speakers. Even with an amp at 2ohms, parallel two 4ohm speakers, and get a 2ohm load.
IF you could find resistors with such a low rate, you could buy a 3ohm resistor and parallel it with the 3ohm speaker you have and the amp still sees 1.5 ohms. . .
Just saying. . .
Cletis 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  
Amps don't have a specific ohm rating.  The impedence that the amp operates at is determined by the load, i.e. impedence of your speakers, # of voice coils, and how they are wired.  The rating of the amp tells you at what impedence you can safely run it, with out risking damage to it, it is not a fixed impedence that it runs at all the time.  In my opinion, it is very important to pay attention to loads.  You can damage amps quite easily when you get into multisub/dvc setups.  Many high end amps will have protection circuits that will hopefully just shut it down, but by delivering the wrong load to your amp you can blow it.  As far using resistors to acheive different loads, it is the same as using to speakers.  The power is split between the speaker and the resistor.  Basically, you would be doubling the power, but splitting it two ways.
purplexcel 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
I just want to know if someone knows where I can find the accumatch unit..I know about impedence loads and such. Obviously,you misunderstood what I have.If I only wanted 400 watts or could get away w/it ..I would.But,since I'm using a JL12w7...I need to squeeze out all that I can w/the Accumatch. One 12w7 is enough. I just need to make sure I give it enough power. Seeing that the amp that i'm talking about is only rated  at 24 watts/ch@4ohms,I DO need to drop the load to the 1ohm stable abilities of this amp. SO,again I ask,is there anybody out there who knows how to get one of the Veritas Accumatch units?Thank you  
I am a former IASCA competitor.I competed from 90'-94'in FLA. I once took 4th place honors at the Spring Break Nationals in 94'w/my Purple 87'Hyundai Excel. It was one of the top cars 51-100 am.
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 7:07 AM / IP Logged  
well, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I dont think the accumatches are available anymore...especially any of the higher wattage accumatches...I heard recently you could get a 250W model still somewhere, but even that I cant seem to find now...
PowerSlave you seem to be the biggest misconception here...amps do not have resistance loads...they have maximum operational resistance capabilities...impedance stability is what you are looking at when you see an amp rated at 2 ohm mono or 4 ohm mono...that means that you cant load that amp down more than the lowest load that it is rated at, or you may blow it up or send it into protection mode...
you must ALWAYS pay close attention to resistance in any system to match and optimize speakers and subs to amps...you are less likely to blow things up...if u dont, u may very well run the risk of blowing up amps or speakers or both...
and the last thing you said about using resistors inline for impedance correction in subs is absolute ludicrous...I doubt you will find resistors capable of handling 500W or 1000W very easily...
purplexcel 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  

Bid Purds..thanks for the info. I guess i might have to get another amp for my power-hungry sub!

I wasn't going to say anything else to Mr. Misconception. I knew what I was doing and appreciate you backing me up. If you come across one...let me know.

I am a former IASCA competitor.I competed from 90'-94'in FLA. I once took 4th place honors at the Spring Break Nationals in 94'w/my Purple 87'Hyundai Excel. It was one of the top cars 51-100 am.
Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
Hey man, I might have found one for you. There was an online classified ad that said they were selling one for $50. This was the email address they had: rutlandfamily@aol.com   I hope everything works out for you man. I can find pretty much anything on the internet, so fi you need any more help, PM me or just put up a post. I'm on like all the time.
Cary
MECP Sales
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
was it the 1200?
you must be careful with the accumatches because they are fairly sensitive and will blow if you get too much out of spec...
when they were conceived and first brought out they were a great tool, but back then the idea of 1000W on a sub was absurd...the idea of 1000W on two subs was even absurd unless you were a hardcore basshead competitor...
unfortunately, as far as I know now, Veritas has totally discontinued the accumatches...I think an accumatch rated at the wattages used today would have to be quite high priced and therefor priced out of most peoples markets...especially for something not that many people have even heard of...
good luck in your search, but I wouldnt hold my breath...
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic