icon

which to get?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
wantofok you are what i call an audio snob you think that rf or all the other high dollar brands are the best. well let me tell you something. it cost rf or kicker or any other brand the same money to build a sub as it cost boss or logic or some of the lower cost brands so if you want to pay more for 2 letters RF go right ahead. I bet you never even herd the rippers. did you know they have cast alum baskets?did you know that they have120 oz mag, and meatalic injected cone, dual 3" kapton voice coils, 96db @ 1watt/1 meter did you? i didn't thinks so. and jake21 was asking for all opinions not just yours. Hey jake 21 try these to ex1200 by logic. logicsoundlab.com   12" dvc subs triple stacked mag, glassfiber cone, chromed die cast alum basket, 2000w rms power handling, 3" high temp black alloy dvc, 210 oz mag. these slam too.                                                                                              
Big Dave
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  
honestly I would stay away from anything that says Boss on it...
you must work for Boss or distribute it the way I see you plug it time after time here speedway...its crap and in my opinion you are either a) knowingly trying to endorse a crap product for some silly reason; or b) unaware of the fact that the product you are preaching about really is crap in the grand scheme of things and are also unaware of how big of a goof it makes you look everytime you praise crap products; or c) too thickheaded to realize that the reason the higher price subs are that way is because they have a reputation for being good quality, had to invest some money into research and development, use better quality materials in their construction, and actually do sound and perform better...
I would honestly go for the CompVRs over the HEs hands down...the CompVRs are much more musical and I think you will get greater volumes out of them than the HEs as well...IMO a superior sub to the HEs...
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
For once I'm not going to recommend the RF's! The HE series is Rockford's entry/mid level sub line (IMO the RFZ's are the entry level, RFP HE's are entry/mid, RFP HE2's are the mid/high, RFD HX2's are the high, and the RFR Power HX2's are insanity!). I've never heard the CompVR's before, but I trust the advice of those who are recommending them. You look to be creating a system that will not only last for a while, but that you can still be happy with in a year. I tried to save the $'s in the beginning and started with the RFP HE series, and learned some valuable lessons. Take Big Purds and Wantofok's advice and go with the CompVR's over the HE's. I've never heard of Boss, so I wont say anything about them.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
speedwayaudio1 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
you know why i "plug" boss is yes i do sell it. But i also use it. yes boss was crap some time ago but the product has come a long way. I have been around a long time and i know that rf and kicker and the other high dollar stuff is fine product too it is very good. I have nothing against it. other than it cost way too much. I also sell msx audio, logic, lanzar. and have had happy customers with all the products including Boss. and as far as a "goof" goes you haven't heard these products your self. Remeber not all of the people out there can afford the big name products these give them a other way to go. I have been installing car audio from the time i was 14 now I'm 37 Back before they had big amps and cds and only had small eq's and "power bosters" I have seen a lot. and i think that the stuff i sell fills it place in the market. so if you still think i'm a goof i don't care I try to help people the best i can with product they "can afford"
Big Dave
QuinnX1 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
I have to agree with Speedway on this one. Boss has been creeping on a come up for awhile. They make Planet Audio. He just threw some names out there. If you look at some of the over seas car audio mags you will see that many people that compete in the UK have cheap set ups and do well in DB drags.
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2003 at 3:44 AM / IP Logged  
sorry, call me a snob, but I still laugh when audio n00bs come to the competitions all hyped up because some goof salesman has sold them all this Boss gear (*brand new* Boss gear) and told them how they are going to kick everyones ass and then with a pair of 12s arent hitting as hard as the next guy with a 10w3 in his car...
I really am against things like this happening, so I speak out when people are trying to sell what I think is garbage...you say this guy is going to be happy with something, and what if he isnt? what is his recourse? its the internet, not like you can be held accountable for giving bad advice...
I try to suggest reasonable products that I believe are going to make the customer as happy as they can be for the amount of money that they want to spend...and if Boss is all they can afford, I suggest waiting a bit and saving up until they can afford some decent audio equipment...
I have never, N-E-V-E-R, heard a Boss product that I would be comfortable even selling to someone, let alone installing it in a car...the subs are weak and sloppy and horribly inaccurate...not to mention the attainable volume is typically very poor in comparison with what I consider entry level...
sure your subs are rated at silly wattage levels, because when u feed them with Boss amps, the numbers match up...a 2000W Boss amp will power a 2000W Boss sub and be a match for it...but then if u have already invested in a real amp that is rated at 500W and u put it to that same claimed 2000W Boss sub, the Boss sub pops and farts and then siezes all motion and all u get is a dull rubbing noise...*sizzle sizzle*...and its not because you underpowered it either...
you can peddle crap all day long and go to bed and have a good rest and be happy with yourself, but any time I see you advise someone to buy crap on this board, I will be all over it...
Big Purds, Consumer Advocate ;)
speedwayaudio1 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2003 at 6:26 AM / IP Logged  
well purds you have the right to say what ever you want. i respect that. i think your wrong but i still respect it. i don't like being called a goof that i don't respect. boss never made a sub that claimed 2000watts. the biggest sub they have right know is a 500w rms 15. i think it sounds great, you might not, but a lot of people do. planet audio has a sub called the "FU18 an15, 12. that is 1800 w rms that is awsome and it's the same company. they have the big bang that slams too. i know what Boss can do and when i tell some one to try it. if they don't like them they can get there money back. i refund any one who feels that they were "ripped off" but you know what no one has ever asked so i will no longer argue with you on this subject
Big Dave
drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2003 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
I have personally installed just about everything from Pyramid, Boss, and Logic, to Eclipse, Focal, JL, Image Dynamics and many other brands. I can honestly say that the Boss and like products are not completely garbage, however at the same time, they just can not and wont ever be able to stand next to the higher end brand names as far as quality and over all sound output. A good friend of mine preaches and lives by the Boss, Pyramid products, becaue he can sell a 2000W amp for under $250. The thing is, that same 2000W amp, can not produce the same power as a 500W high end amp such as MTX, Eclipse and other brands. The quality of sound reproduction is just not there. Sure, if you are just beginning in car audio, you may not be able to hear an audible difference, and that is usually because your ears have not been trained to pick up the differences yet. In this case, the Logic and Boss products may sound great to you, and may be the thing you want. However, if you have been in car audio for quite some time, and have heard the higher end equipment on a regular basis, there is a remarkable difference in the quality of products, as well as their reproduction of sound. If you have and continue to install the lower end products, you probably wont recognize the difference in sound quality, and will only pay attention to the loudness of the system.
It is one thing to be loud with distortion, and another to be moderately loud and have absolutely no distorion. Most of the lower end systems, lack a large amount of midbass, as well as other large gaps they leave in the frequency spectrum.
I personally have nothing against the lower end brands, as they do cater to a large portion of car audio buyers. At the same time, you do get what you pay for, and will recieve much more satisfaction with the money you spend for a better quality product.
I personally use Focal speakers(a French company, who HANDMAKES every driver, including hand pressing and molding the cone), when my friend saw the amount that I paid for them he ablosutely thought I was insane. I have now had the 165K2 6.5" 2-way component set for 3 years, and have been greatly satisfied with them, and plan to use them for many more years. My friend on the other hand, has went through more systems than I can count on both of my hands, in the same amount of time. The thing that I like the most about it, is that he calls me up everytime he wants something else done, and I continue to make money installing all of his systems.
Which ever you decide to use, I hope you know and undertand what you are getting. Research what you spend your money on, and you should not be sorry for what you get.   
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic