icon

tach wire 99 alero

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
timo123451 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2010 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
I've checked all three PURPLE / white wires from the ecu and have not found one that represents a tach voltage. I've also tried the white wire off the 8 pin connector on the top of the motor (2.4). Any ideas? Thanks
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2010 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  

This is from Bulldog Sedcurity.  ( They don't differentiate between engines. )

TACH                          PURPLE / WHITE                          @ IGNITION COIL

How are you testing? 

Soldering is fun!
timo123451 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2010 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
I'm using my volt meter for testing. This alero has the 2.4 with the ignition coils under the top cover. There is an 8 pin harness that comes out of the ignition module that has a white wire that is supposed to be able to be used as the tach wire. When I test this wire is runs from .5 ac to 1.3 ac? I'm not sure if this is correct or if it will work for the avital 4113. I've tried using virtual tach but I still have the same problem. It will start with the remote for a few seconds and then shuts down.  I'm confident all my wiring connections are correct and my dlpkgm seems to program like its supposed to.  I'm running out of options and I'm about ready to go f%$#@ing insane! :)  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
beegbie 
Copper - Posts: 341
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2010 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
Before assuming it's a tach issue you should temporarily put the avital into no engine checking and bump up the crank time to 1.4 seconds and see if the car stays running. This sounds like a passlock issue.
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2010 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  

I have done some cars where the Tach signal was only 0.5 volts at warm idle.  If your signal rises with RPM's, I would give it a try with a Tach Learn.  ( The tach signal is one of the few places where you can't hurt anything by trying with a Tach Learn, either it accepts it or it doesn't. )  Most high end remote start units will sync up with a signal under 2 volts AC. 

As beegbie suggested, are you getting any security type lights on the instrument panel with the failed remote start?  ( Passlock 2 can be difficult.  Just did a '05 Colorado that wouldn't remote start but looked like it programmed OK. )

Soldering is fun!
timo123451 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2010 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help, I will be working on it again tomorrow. I tried starting in with the key in the ignition and still had no luck.
timo123451 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2010 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  

Also.............this avital 4113 is a one button remote start. I am not able to push the lock button during the programing of the bypass module? Could this be a problem? According to the light on the dlpkgm it's progaming just like it should.

'

kreg357 
Posted: October 09, 2010 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  

The "key in the ignition" test only works with transponder based immobilizer systems, your Passlock2 system is resistance based.

Soldering is fun!
timo123451 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2010 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks to everyone for all the help. I figured out that I had the wrong status wire hooked up. I had the blue/white from the 9 pin to the status on my dlpkgm when it should have gone to the solid blue from the 4 pin harness!
beegbie 
Copper - Posts: 341
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2010 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
Did you mean the WHITE/ blue(-activation input) wire from the 9 pin connector? There is no blue/white on the 9 pin. If you hooked up the blue/white from the 5 pin connector it should have worked fine.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic