Posted: April 18, 2003 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
I got my stuff stolen and my insurance wants to replace my stuff with this:
what I had:
MTX 6500D mono amp
MTX 8124 12" 8000's series subwoofer
want to replace it with:
Rockford Fosgate 501DB mono amp
Rockford Fosgate RFP 12" suboofer
Is this stuff worse or better then what I had? Also, I can get ALPINE instead of RF, should I? Is ALPINE better?
philaf 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  

why won't your insurance company pay for same equipment? it's not like mtx doesn't make a direct replacement of both models.... kinda wierd.

but anyways... fosgate makes great stuff, but the alpine equipment is cleaner. fosgate leans more towards raw power. then again, if you had an 8000 series... the fosgate would provide a more similar sound. only question is whether the fosgate sub is an HE or an HE2. both of them start with RFP... HE2 would be better..

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2003 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
The RF Power 501bd is a good match to what you had, I'll give the specs below. Rockford amps constantly outperform their specs as well.
The closest sub match to what you had is the RFP3212 HE2. It's a DVC sub (you had an SVC if I read the model right [T8124A], because the T81244A is the DVC), but the RMS and Peak ratings are identical to what you had. Do not let them give you an RFP3412 HE as a replacement! The RFP3412 is an SVC sub (like your MTX was), but the power rating is alot lower (200RMS 400Peak vs. 400RMS 800Peak). Since your MTX sub was a 4ohm SVC, you were probably only getting apx. 250 watts to it (but they don't know that!). Your amp was capable of producing 500watts @ 2ohms if you had a different sub, or two 4ohm SVC's instead of just 1)
Here's the specs...
MTX 6500D mono amp
250x1 @ 4ohms
500x1 @ 2ohms
MTX T8124A 12" sub
4ohm SVC
400RMS
800Peak
Rockford Fosgate Power 501bd mono amp
300x1 @ 4ohms
500x1 @ 2ohms
Rockford Fosgate RFP3212 HE2 12" sub
4ohm DVC (capable of a 2ohm total load when wired correctly)
400RMS
800Peak
Rockford Fosgate RFP3412 HE 12" sub
4ohm SVC
200RMS
400Peak
Rockford makes a great product (except their RFZ series subs). Philaf makes a good point, Rockford does tend to lean more towards Raw Power in their amps then a Cleaner Signal with some of their amps. But the BD series amps were designed to combine the best of both worlds. Here's an article on the BD class technology.
As far as comparing Rockford to Alpine, they both have their strengths and weaknesses. However, I highly doubt your insurance company would replace anything with Apline other then if it was original Alpine equipment that was stolen (even then they would drag their feet) because of the price.
So my recomendation is if they want to go Rockford as a replacement, get the Power 501bd and an RFP3212 HE2.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic