icon

using fused distribution block instead

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
1989ba4 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2010 at 3:26 AM / IP Logged  
I was wondering if this is possible and safe to do, I was going to buy a fused distribution Block with 0 gauge inputs, and use the block on the main battery power cable next to the battery, and then run a 4 and 8 gauge power cable back to the amp, and each wire will have a separate fuse from the distribution block, the reason why I'm thinking about doing it this way, because I can't afford 18ft of 0awg cable at the moment
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2010 at 3:48 AM / IP Logged  
So what you're saying is that multiple 18' lengths of 4G & 8G to make up the equivalent of 0G is cheaper than a single 18' length of 0G?   Strange - not that I am a heavy-G wire expert.
As long as you realise that if you common together the far ends, if one fuse blows, the others may also blow...
But if you are splitting at the other end, it probably doesn't make much difference anyhow - especially if it means you avoid the single battery end fuse. (IE - instead of battery thru fuse thru 0G to DistBlock thru fuses for each smaller gauge; it may be battery (securely) to DistBlock thru fuses for each smaller gauge only.)   
After all, each fuse adds considerable resistance...
Usually a single larger cable is used for weight and space savings - especially with design margins (ie, shared cable overcapacity). But that depends alot on what you are powering....
That's my half-cents worth.
But see what others with REAL distro experience suggest....
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,672
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 04, 2010 at 6:30 AM / IP Logged  
I am guessing that he has 2 amplifiers, one needs a 4 Ga. and the other needs an 8 Ga. wire.   If this is the case, as long as neither wire is fused at more than it's rated current, all will be fine. 
1989ba4 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2010 at 6:36 AM / IP Logged  
What I meant to say, was that I already have the 4 and 8 gauge cables from my previous car, and I don't have the money to spend on 18ft 0gauge cable at the moment, and what I'm trying to do is just attach 7 inch of 0gauge to the battery terminal Then to the fused distribution block, then run 4 and 8 to my amps in the back, just to clarify what I'm trying to do, and I'm wondering if it safe to do since I won't be using two fuses on the 7" of 0 gauge since I think it is pointless because the distblock is already fused
robyn 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2010 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
I've got a similar setup going in my brother's car, 0ga goes to a fused distribution block and then 2x4ga lines running to the amps, has been working fine for about a year now, no blown fuses or anything. I'd imagine it really depends on your setup... if you have a system that draws enough power to require 0ga, a 4ga and 8ga are NOT going to be equivalent, even if ran together.
ocguy106 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2010 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
well if you already have the cable you don't need to buy the distrution block or the 0g wire. just run each of the 4 and 8 guage cable directly to the battery and fuse them.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 05, 2010 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
Agree with ocguy above.  You just need two simple inline fuse holders and fuses.  Keeps you from cramming all that stuff in the engine compartment.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 06, 2010 at 4:40 AM / IP Logged  
If you buy a distribution block make sure it is sealed and designed to be mounted under the hood. I don't see why you don't just put inline fuses in both and connect both right to the battery though.
How many amps are you running?
Kevin Pierson

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic