icon

new speakers popping noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
arsaces 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2010 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, I bought a new set of Rockford R152-s speakers, I installed them in the car and ran them off the HU for about 2 weeks, then I installed a Majestic amp MA9400SW, this amp puts out ~ 75 RMS where the speakers say they take 40, from everything I have read if I set the gains correctly I should have no problems.
I put the gains on the lowest setting and ran the speakers fine for about 1 week, now in the driver door I hear something that sounds to me (total novice) like a blown speaker, it is somewhat of a tapping noise. When researching the problem I read that it might be over-excursion, and because I am pushing double the RMS through the speakers I thought that I had found my problem, the issue I run into then is the fact that the speakers made the noise at 14 volume on my HU (pioneer AVH-P5000DVD) which goes to 40, so I figured I was not driving them to over excursion at that volume.
Frustrated and confused I pulled off my door panel and played some music to figure out where the noise was coming from exactly. I will try to describe this to the best of my ability so that the pics make more sense. It appears that the glue that holds the front part of the speaker to the red felt piece that is behind it has come unglued, and the front part is slapping against the hard glue and producing the noise that has been scaring me into thinking my new speakers were ruined because of a bad install. If I put my finger in through the back of the speaker (basket?) and put a slight amount of pressure on the front portion of the speaker from behind the noise goes away.
My question is, what kind of glue should I use to repair this, the speakers were bought through ebay so RF is not going to warranty them.
A picture is worth 1k words, so here are 4 pics of the speakers:
Front
new speakers popping noise - Last Post -- posted image.
Back
Hopefully visible glue line pic (the glue in question is right where the red meets the black)
Me pushing on the back of the speaker (this causes the noise to go away - I notice that the glue is stuck to the red fabric and not the front part of the speaker)
I am very sorry for the lack of technical terms as far as the speaker goes, I do not know what the parts I am referring to are called, I have provided as much information as I have thought of, if you need anything else I am armed with a camera!
arsaces 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2010 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
Solved. I posted this thread to a different forum and was told to simply super glue it back and it should work fine. Sound is now gone :D
66sportfury 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2010 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  
superglue will only hold the spider to the cone for so long, 3m makes a glue specifically for that.i cannot think of the name, but I'm sure others will know
ac delco am radio and sparkomatic 40 watt sound exploder
arsaces 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2010 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
I will look into that when I start hearing the noise again. Is this a common thing? Why would the glue come apart so quickly, does it happen with speakers that sit for a long time after manufacturing without being used?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic