icon

car cranks but no start after alarm setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mpe235 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2010 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
First thing we need to do is find out why the vehicle isn't starting. Let's start with the basics. Check all of the fuses. Verify when the ignition is turned on that the bulb for the service engine soon light  illuminates during the bulb test. If that checks out you will want to check for fuel and spark. These vehicle are known for problems with corrosion in the fuel sending unit plug that powers the fuel pump. If you find that you don't have fuel you can try wiggling the connectors on the top of the sending unit. Sometimes this will get it started. To get to the fuel sender remove the rear seat bottom and the black metal cover under it. You will have access to the top of the sending unit  from there.
Nissan Master Tech.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2010 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  

god dan it,im sure you are experianced, but im just really curious about something. Im not taking sides, but just wondering. As an installer, even if i strip an alarm from any car, I never trust their wiring, as i will remove, test the wire for function then connect the new wire.

If you tested your wires, wouldnt you have probed all the wires at the ignition for acc, ign, and start?

this is what has me a little confused.

However, i am interested in getting this resolved to save the image of installers. (not saying youre not a good one or the customer is a basher regarding installers) just want to help everyone get this resolved.

First off, i would start by turning on the ign and listen if the fuel pump primes, if power is present at acc, ign, start wires. If no power is present on a wire, check the fuses.

Since we ruled out bypass, and MPE mentioned fuel pump, DMM the fuel pump to see if it still functions.

keep us posted, thanks

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2010 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  

Does this vehicle have any anti-theft system that'e OEM?  Have you all checked all fuses?

mpe235 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2010 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  

The xterra didn't have an immobiliser or antitheft that would keep the vehicle from starting.

Nissan Master Tech.
marlonism 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2010 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
It's already too dark/cold outside to check wirings/fuse/etc. But I did just put the key at Acc ON and I don't hear the fuel pump (all lights are working including the SES/CEL). But then again, I don't remember it being loud to be heard though. On my Sentra, it is loud enough to be heard. I did notice on the Sentra that if I remove the key and do the sequence again, the pump doesn't make a sound. It's like it knows it was already primed earlier.
I want to check the fuse and the fusible links but I don't know how to check them aside from visual inspection. What specific fuses/links should I check?
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2010 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
If I were trying to eliminate fuel or spark, I would have someone crank the vehicle, while I sprayed a SMALL amount of starter fluid into the air intake and see if the engine sputters or not.  This would confirm spark and no fuel. Thats just me though.
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
marlonism 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2010 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
mpe235 wrote:
First thing we need to do is find out why the vehicle isn't starting. Let's start with the basics. Check all of the fuses. Verify when the ignition is turned on that the bulb for the service engine soon light  illuminates during the bulb test. If that checks out you will want to check for fuel and spark. These vehicle are known for problems with corrosion in the fuel sending unit plug that powers the fuel pump. If you find that you don't have fuel you can try wiggling the connectors on the top of the sending unit. Sometimes this will get it started. To get to the fuel sender remove the rear seat bottom and the black metal cover under it. You will have access to the top of the sending unit  from there.
mpe235, thanks! I believe you are talking about recall #04V230000 "THE FUEL PUMP TERMINAL ON THE FUEL-SENDING UNIT CAN DEVELOP A CRACK IN THE PLASTIC MOLDING. THIS CAN CAUSE THE TERMINAL STRIP TO CORRODE UNDER SOME ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS".
I had that recall done about half a decade ago (it was reported in 2004). I assume it will not recur once you had the recall done.
I will still investigate fuel or spark, after I check the fuses/links tomorrow.
marlonism 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2010 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
smokeman1 wrote:
If I were trying to eliminate fuel or spark, I would have someone crank the vehicle, while I sprayed a SMALL amount of starter fluid into the air intake and see if the engine sputters or not.  This would confirm spark and no fuel. Thats just me though.
"starter fluid" as in the bottle you use to burn charcoal for barbecue?
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  
Dont worry. I dont want to finger point. Thats not what I want to do. I strive to make my customers happy. I removed the alarm and started off fresh. Tested/checked my own wires. We did check all the fuses and they all looked good to me. I rarely ever blow fuses and im using a multimeter, not a test light. There is power to ACC, Ignition, Starter...etc. I checked it all. Just to clear things up, it tries to start with the key. So the starter is working. If it didnt....wouldnt you just hear "clicking"? Im not a mechanic, but I do know a few things here and there. Maybe its fuel or spark issues? I honestly never had anything like this happen before. I think its just a coincidence.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2010 at 4:00 AM / IP Logged  
My sympathy goes to both parties here, as an installer I know that sinking feeling in your stomach when this happens.
Always test everything on a running car before starting work on it.
Once did an install on a 95 E36 BMW Coupe, apparently lovingly rebuilt by the owner, didn't pre-check, half way through the left window stuck down. He insisted it was my fault, I made him take it to a BMW dealer who found he'd mounted the window module from the 4 door sedan rather than the coupe version. Red faced customer but phew!
The point about a pretest is that if you get a problem you've some where to start from rather than "it all worked fine before you started working on it".
Frankly wiring up the second starter or not is totally irrelevant at this point. Is there key power to both starter wires? Also please check ALL fuses.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic