icon

Need your advice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rizkybuziness 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  

I just got all of my state liscensing to open a car and marine audio shop.  I haven't actually bought the building yet.  The owner of a radio shack offered me a deal and I just wanted to know what you thought. 

He has a nice install bay in the back of his shopping center, actually three to choose from in different locations, he owns several shopping centers.  He said if I would install all of his radio shack sales, he would buy the product lines I want to install, with him getting 90% of the profit from the sales and me getting 100% of  the labor.  I also would pay no utilities and no rent.  I can walk anytime with nothing invested if I don't like the set-up.  I only supply my service and my tools. I'd be a private contractor not an employee and I set the price of labor and the hours I work. 

I thought that this might actually be a good way to get started and get my name out there, but I really wanted to have my own business. What do you think?

You only go 'round the world once, might as well do it big
Andon 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
Well I think that you sould try it a see how it goes.  If you dont like it get out, an do your thing.  (There is no reason to to jump in the deep end tell you try the water.)  (Quote.)
Shane Andon
copcarguy 
Copper - Posts: 122
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds good. Don't sign anything though without legal advice. Put your best foot forward but be weary of strangers bearing gifts. If you have nothing to risk then it sounds like a great jump start for your business. Make sure he understands your fees upfront in writing so that there is no misunderstanding or re-negotiating later (personal experience of mine). Best of luck to you, hope you make tons of money!!!
R Jackson
Owner/Installer
TRM Emergency Vehicles
Information is advice only and should be confirmed with OEM or quality test equipment.
Boyertown, Pennsylvania
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 3:37 AM / IP Logged  
get insurance if you screw someone car up you will need it. I know you don't think you will but those things happen. I know. that guy will hang you out to dry if he needs to.
Big Dave
copcarguy 
Copper - Posts: 122
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 4:50 AM / IP Logged  
Good call! Business liability insurance is cheap enough. But if you do mess up and have the means to do it pay out of pocket, it will mean your rates won't increase. I have never had to use my liability insurance and really would only use it if an entire vehicle was toast or something went wrong that was really expensive to repair. Otherwise better to take it on the chin and move on.
Also if you screw up, own up. In other words if it is your fault and you know it then say so. It will mean a little headache but in the long run it goes a long way towards fostering consumer confidence and good relations.
R Jackson
Owner/Installer
TRM Emergency Vehicles
Information is advice only and should be confirmed with OEM or quality test equipment.
Boyertown, Pennsylvania

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic