icon

96 chevy tahoe viper 5701

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aarmobile 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2010 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  
Happy holidays to all. Wife purchased a viper 5701/remote start car alarm system for me for christmas. After opening the box up, the diagram was disappointing at best. I have 20+ yrs in the auto repair industry so I'm no stranger to wiring or installing, but this thing here is somewhat complex! If anyone has input on wiring this alarm system up it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2010 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  

This should get you started:   http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/vehiclewiringdiagrams.asp

Link to a 5901 on Buick : http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=65742

Link to a 5701 on a Tundra:  http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/electrical/4144-viper-dei-5701-remote-start-diy.html

They are similar remote starter/ alarm systems  and the general procedures are the same for location, testing, and verifying the wires needed for your vehicle.   Use the search feature of this site for other postings/info for your vehicle, usually someone has asked a question you may have.  I am a DIYer and have installed a two 5701s so far.  After studying and reading everything I could find on this site and others, I have had very few issues.

There is also a wiring section on this site.. ALL wiring listings ARE guides. Your vehicle may be different, hence the reasoning for testing and verifying ALL wires before connecting to the harness.

Plan on at least a  full week-end for the project.  Take it one wire at a time.

Does your 5701 have a 18 pin harness?

When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
aarmobile 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2011 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you for the reply. I looked at the links you posted and they were a big help indeed. What really left me scratching my head was when I opened the box and saw the resistors. From what I have read so far they don't apply to my vehicle. Also this vehicle was purchased used and had an alarm installed already(aftermarket). It used to lock/unlock all the doors with arm/disarm of the system. There are 2 relays aftermarket in the harness spliced right now. One has a blown diode which I am suspecting has something to do with the lock/unlock feature not working now. The wiring diagram for the 5701 is not clear to me. The H3 10 pin has 3 ignition wires. I did print out a wiring list from this site, but the 3 ignition wires and their connect points still aren't clear to me. Acc/starter input? A flex relay output? Yes it has an 18 pin connector labeled H2. The H2 repeats the confusion. This project has lit my challenge fuse!!! I am a neat freak about wiring and connections, I want the layout to be routed clean also, so I would rather make this a DIY all the way and do the wiring neatly this time. Still have Q's though. I appreciate all the help I can get.
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2011 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  

Well get out your DMM and start testing wires.  The basic install for this vehicle looks rather easy.  No bypass needed.  Pages 13~20 explain how to test and verify the wires you need.

H1/2  Red to 12 volts constant....H1/3 to siren red, siren black to ground...H1/5  Black to chassis ground...H1/11 White to Brown (+) @ headlight  switch

H2/8 to black(-) @ steering harness...H2/9  to White @ECM (test this wire, AC on DMM, 1~6 volts, vehicle running)........H2/15 to hood pin ............. ...H2/17 to white (+) @ switch above brake pedal...H2/18  to chassis ground

H3/1 Pink to Ignition 1 Pink...H3/7 Pink/White to ignition 2 Pink/White OR White...H3/2 RED / White, H3/6 Red, & H3/9 RED / Black  to Red 12 Volts Constant.. H3/3 Orange to Orange Accessory...H3/4  Violet to starter side of cut Yellow wire and H3/5 Green to Key side of cut Yellow wire.

Take it one wire at a time.

When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
scam404 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2011 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
aarmobile wrote:
Thank you for the reply. I looked at the links you posted and they were a big help indeed. What really left me scratching my head was when I opened the box and saw the resistors. From what I have read so far they don't apply to my vehicle. Also this vehicle was purchased used and had an alarm installed already(aftermarket). It used to lock/unlock all the doors with arm/disarm of the system. There are 2 relays aftermarket in the harness spliced right now. One has a blown diode which I am suspecting has something to do with the lock/unlock feature not working now. The wiring diagram for the 5701 is not clear to me. The H3 10 pin has 3 ignition wires. I did print out a wiring list from this site, but the 3 ignition wires and their connect points still aren't clear to me. Acc/starter input? A flex relay output? Yes it has an 18 pin connector labeled H2. The H2 repeats the confusion. This project has lit my challenge fuse!!! I am a neat freak about wiring and connections, I want the layout to be routed clean also, so I would rather make this a DIY all the way and do the wiring neatly this time. Still have Q's though. I appreciate all the help I can get.
Welcome to the fun of DIY car electronics installs. You should probably run through each harness and find all of the wires that you don't know what to do with, and then post them all at once. I can help you with the ones you did post however,
The ACC/Starter Input - This supplies voltage to your accessory wire (cigarette lighter and radio usually) when the remote start activates. It needs to be connected to a source (usually in your ignition harness behind where the key goes) that always has constant +12V from the battery. This means it has 12V ALL the time, when the key is in the acc position, on position (or run), as well as the start position when you start the car. You will need a digital multi meter for checking all your wires.
As for the flex relay, that wire can be used as one of three things, an extra starter wire (probably not), an extra ignition wire, or an extra accessory wire. On my remote start install, I had to use the flex relay as a second accessory wire since my car has 2 accessory wires. One controls the climate control, and the other controls the radio and cigarette lighter etc. You can probably now see why it is called a flex relay, because it is flexible in the way you can use it.
Hope that helps a little.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic