icon

Check my thinking

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
acq810z 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, after reading more into this and such, I think I need a higher output alt to power my planned system.  Please check my thinking on this.....

1 RF 500bd running a Kicker SL7 10" DVC at 300RMS per coil @ 2 Ohm = 600 RMS / 13.8v = around 45 amp

1 RF 750X running 93.75RMS x 4 @ 4 Ohm = 93.75 * 4 = 375RMS / 13.8 = around 28 amp

28+45 = 73amp

I have a 1997 Civic EX and best of what i have seen is the alt is rated 60-80 amp.   Assuming that the alt is at 80% capacity that leaves me 12-16 amp to spare which is definatly not enough.  Is my thinking correct on this?  Other things I have added to the system is 1 farad cap on the line that runs to the 500bd which is overkill for that amp but ohwell.  If (and that is more like I do) need a alt i was planning on getting a 150-200 amp alt.  But here is the delima......where can i get one that mounts to factory bracket with little to no modification.   obviously i will probably spend 250-300 for the alt but i would like a good quality one that will provide all the power plus a little more to expand on and not require me breaking the bank or costing an arm and a leg.   please let me know if i am thinking right.   Please no suggestions about getting a cap because if my math is correct....they wont help anyways.  

Thanks in advance

~Q

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
You’re correct on your calculations, and you should be able to find a  150 + alt.  Contact this manufacture they should be able to help you out C.S.A
nathanpeddicord@yahoo.com or call at 1-334-712-9955 or 1-334-791-6272
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  
I've been seeing more and more of this type of question. Is it better to get an aftermarket high output amp, or get your factory amp rewound? I know it can be cheaper to get an amp rewound, but will it last as long?
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  
rewound alternators are not the best plan...you are usually better off to buy an alternator that was conceived and designed in all forms to put out that much power, not try to upgrade as many things as you can while using something that wasnt designed to do what you want...
I dont trust many places to rewind because more often than not, when small shops rewind an alternator, they dont upgrade all of the necessary components and usually you will get noise induction problems from the rewinds...
you are better off to start with something thats purpose is to do what you want it to...
if you want to buy a great high output alternator for a decent price get in touch with dominick at Iraggi Alternators...has been building HO alts for car audio enthusiasts for a long time and has not only a rock solid product, but a rock solid reputation to go along with that...you can contact him at dominick@tds.net he is a very knowledgable and amicable guy...
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 1:57 AM / IP Logged  
thx. Once I pay off my system I'll defifnately get in touch with him
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
acq810z 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 6:36 AM / IP Logged  

Thank you for all the responses!  It helps out a lot!

Once again thanks!

~Q

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2003 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  

Your welcome

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2003 at 2:33 AM / IP Logged  
try a local alt shop. they will build you a alt what ever size you want a lot chepper than an aftermarket alt. I had a 170amp ac/delco build for my ford and it works great and they installed it too for 200 bucks. I could do it myself but for the money let the shop do it. you got to shop around for deals get the most of your hard earned money.
Big Dave
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2003 at 3:22 AM / IP Logged  
Big Purds wrote:
rewound alternators are not the best plan...you are usually better off to buy an alternator that was conceived and designed in all forms to put out that much power, not try to upgrade as many things as you can while using something that wasnt designed to do what you want...
I dont trust many places to rewind because more often than not, when small shops rewind an alternator, they dont upgrade all of the necessary components and usually you will get noise induction problems from the rewinds...
you are better off to start with something thats purpose is to do what you want it to...
if you want to buy a great high output alternator for a decent price get in touch with dominick at Iraggi Alternators...has been building HO alts for car audio enthusiasts for a long time and has not only a rock solid product, but a rock solid reputation to go along with that...you can contact him at dominick@tds.net he is a very knowledgable and amicable guy...
!!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic