icon

car won't start at all

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jjolar 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2011 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. I just installed a DEI Viper 562t and a DEI 555LW bypass on it. I've done hundreds of remote starts in the past, but haven't run into this problem.

I used the remote start one time, and it worked fine. Went to remote start again, no crank. Went to start it with the key, no crank. Varified voltage on the main start wire coming from the ignition harness (behind key cylinder in dash). Voltage is present when remote start or key start, but starter does not engage. I started car several times throughout the install process, as I always do to make sure everything is in working order. But now I've got no starter engagement. Security light goes out like it should following start attempt. Nothing unusual about the process other than the car not cranking!

Any ideas?

-jjol
lectricguy 
Copper - Posts: 359
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2011 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  

I would check the starter connections (key cylinder side and Motor Side from the sattelite relay box, Purple & Green), and also the Neutral safety connection (BLACK/ white) and the neutral safety switch.

Does the car start with the key?  Have you tried putting the unit in Valet mode?  Does the system lock/unlock?

Lectric Guy
jjolar 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2011 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
It will not start with the key...that's the biggest problem. I have voltage present on both green and purple wires when trying to use the key, but checking voltage at the starter itself, I've got nothing there. Checked the starter relay, and even swapped it with another. As well, I attempted to jump the starter relay, but still no crank. The system is not in valet, and as far as that goes, I can remove the whole thing and I still cannot get the car to crank.
-jjol
jjolar 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2011 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry, I didn't finish. Everything else works fine with the new system, door locks work, parklights flash, horn honks, dome light. But the car now won't start remote start or KEY.

-jjol
jjolar 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2011 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
CLOSE POST. Thank you for your time. I varified voltage on the remote start wires but not the yellow wire itself...bad connection! I solder all my connections except the starter cut...I use yellow butts, and I hate the short ones, but that's all i had, and the wire had come out leading to the starter. MY BAD. Excuse my ignorance. Now I'll go put it all back together. Thanks again.
-jjol
monty_77 
Copper - Posts: 491
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2011 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
That's why you only solder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic