the12volt.com spacer
icon

2007 chevy avalanche, nmo antenna

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
avgas 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2011 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote avgas

Hey Guys

I have a 2007 Chevy Avalanche with a sunroof and a dvd player in the roof. I want to install an NMO style antenna in the roof. I was wondering if anyone has done this and where you drilled the hole. I dont want to drill a hole to find out the sunroof is going to contact the wiring. Where did you route the antenna wire and did you need to remove the dvd screen from the roof to fish the wire.  Any help is great.

Thanks.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 23, 2011 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
What is an NMO antenna?
avgas 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2011 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote avgas
It is a through the roof Antenna mount.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2011 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Ween
does the sunroof on the Avalanche retract into the roof, or extend over in any operation. the easiest position for the antenna installation, although not optimal, would probably be at the rear of the roof near the CHMSL (third brake light). typically the best location on a vehicle is the center. see if there is access to the roof by removing the light. isn't the standard NMO mount .75"/19mm? and aren't some of the antenna mounts installable from the roof side of the vehicle?
mark
avgas 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2011 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote avgas
The sunroof does retract inside the roof panel. I am guessing that the antenna would need to be located to the rear of the roof. There is no light to remove. The DVD player and light set up are all in one unit so I am guessing I would need to remove the DVD player to check things out and see what I can access. The rear brake light assy has a huge plastic housing and behind that there is no place to gain access to the inside of the roof.
avgas 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2011 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote avgas
Well I bit the bullet and drilled the hole and installed the antennae mount with no trouble at all. I did get some pics of the roof assy from the local GM parts guy so I had an idea where the roof might have had extra supports.  All went well.
ici upfitter 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2015 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ici upfitter
When in doubt installing a two way radio antenna, it is best not to do it haphazardly. The rear center roof location is usually the best location for a coax bushing through the roof. It's a 3/4 inch hole that should be done with a special hole saw with a 1/8 inch depth guard. After installing an antenna, it is always a good rule of thumb to use a watt meter on the radio and antenna setup to insure you don't have reflected signal on transmission. Output should read the wattage of the radios output, while also should show little to no return signal on transmission. If you are reflecting signal, you are losing transmit potential and possibly ruining your radios PA.
"It's just 12volts...lol!"

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic