ohms, crossovers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
p40whk 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2011 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
If you can't return the horns and the flared port, let me know via PM.
I talked to P.E. last night and they'll take them back but thanks.
On another note; I was laying this out with cardboard cut outs to get an idea of the shape trying to fit it to the maximum dimensions I have available and that big 4" hole for the port just seems to get in the way (It'll work fine I'm just thinking aesthetics).
I thought to myself; "what about a slotted port?" then did some research and found this calculator: Port Size Calculator that allows you to calculate a rectangle port.
With a 1.5 cubic feet box, at 41Hz and 8" wide by 1.5" high port is 5.97" deep. I could use the 264-308 Square Horn with the slotted port underneath it built into the bottom of the enclosure and this would give me a very symmetrical look.
Is my thought process correct here?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2011 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  
That's correct.  A slot port is often the choice for pro-line speakers.  I only suggested round because it's easier to build.  :)
Support the12volt.com
p40whk 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2011 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, thought I'd upload some photo's to show my progress. Still need to install the mounting pads, T-Nuts, and do some final sanding before I cover and glass it but it's starting to take shape.
I built each side with a 5 degree angle so the point slightly away from each other than all straight out. Not sure if you can see it in the photo's.
I welcome all critique since this is my first project like this:
ohms, crossovers - Page 4 -- posted image.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2011 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
Looking great so far!
Support the12volt.com
p40whk 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2011 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
Just finished wrapping the skeleton in fleece. Chose red because that's what I'm considering the final color to be unfortunately it doesn't photo that well. The ends were a real pain but the fiberglass and bondo should cover the imperfections. Tomorrow it gets the polyester resin coating.
p40whk 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2011 at 7:51 AM / IP Logged  
Quick question, Other than adding more internal bracing, is there another way to decrease the volume of the enclosure?
I filled the box with packing peanuts then measured the peanuts using a 6"X6"X6" box and it seems I've got too much space (better than too little I guess).
I was wondering if there was something easy I could put in like some of that "Great Stuff" expandable foam?
DYohn 
Posted: March 09, 2011 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
How much space is too much?  6X6X6 is only 1/8 cubic foot... But to answer your question, use a block of MDF or 2X4 to fill space.  And don't forget the space that will be occupied by the drivers and the crossover takes away volume.
Support the12volt.com
p40whk 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2011 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
How much space is too much?  6X6X6 is only 1/8 cubic foot... But to answer your question, use a block of MDF or 2X4 to fill space.  And don't forget the space that will be occupied by the drivers and the crossover takes away volume.
I was thinking that 6X6X6 was 1/2 cubic foot! No wonder I did so poorly in math! I should be good to go then, will re-measure again tonight.
p40whk 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2011 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
A few more pics of my progress.
Bodo applied and rough sanded:
And the crossover components mounted to their boards:
p40whk 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2011 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
Quick question; since I'm reversing the polarity of the HLCD, will I still be wiring the L-Pad like this?
I'm assuming the Negative now goes to pin 3 and the positive lead will now go to Pin1. Looking at the photo of my crossover above, the positive lead entering the capacitor on the upper right will go to the negative side of the speaker or Pin 1 of the L-pad. It's a bit late so I may be over thinking this.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic