icon

Newbie Question - Amp's and Sub's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ToyNut 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2003 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  

I know that this has probably been covered hundred's of times so I appologise to bringing it up again.  I saw several topics that seemed close to my question, but I can't seem to get my head screwed on straight and pull the answer out.

I'm hoping that someone here can help me understand a little more about car audio, specifically amps and subs.

If you've ever seen the inside of an MR2 you know that there is NO room. Factory system has 5 speakers: 4" in the dash, 3 1/2" in the rear pillars, and a 4" sub under the driver's seat which runs off the front channels.
I've replaced the front 4's and the rear 3's with Boston's, and I've replaced the sub with a Radio Shack 4" sub woofer.
At low to mid volume levels it sounds pretty good, but at anything louder it is all highs.
I want some more volume, and I want full sound. So, I'm thinking it's time for subs.
I've purchased caps to drop the base out of the Boston's. 300Hz for the rear and 200Hz for the front. I have lying around a box with two unknown brand 8" subs and a Boss 400W amp. Oh yea, the car has an aftermarket deck, Pioneer I think, that has pre-amp output currently unused.
I was originally thinking that I would build boxes to go behind each seat, put one 8 in each box. But there are two problems with this, 1) that's where the t-tops go, and 2) the t-tops leak and the
leak right there.
So, I'm not thinking of putting one 8 in the passenger foot space. Too bad, because I know how to wire two speakers from the amp! 98% of the time I'm the only one in the car so using the foot space will not be a problem. I could also upgrade to a 10 later if I so choose. With the speaker here the passenger can still sit comfortably, just can't stretch out.
So, finally to the question(s). How do you bridge the output of an amp? And if you do, do you need an 8ohm speaker?
Again, I'm not after "Booming" sound I just want full sound, that I can crank when I get the urge Newbie Question - Amp's and Sub's - Last Post -- posted image.
The final question is, do you think that this arrangement will give me what I'm after or will there be a lack of mid range?
Thanks,
Craig

Cletis 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2003 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
To bridge most amps, take the left channel positive from the amp and connect it to the positive terminal of the sub.  Take the right negative from the amp and connect it to the negative terminal on the sub.  This will give you a bridged output.  You will be just fine without an 8ohm sub, I'm assuming you're planning on using a 4 ohm single voice coil.  Is that the case if not let us know, because otherwise what I wrote won't apply.
ToyNut 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2003 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  

Hello Cletis,

Thanks for your reply!   Now that I'm home I pulled the old amp out of the storage bin and just moments before I read your reply discovered that the amp has marking indicating how to bridge it.

As for the speaker I want to drive.  I have no idea what the heck it is!  All it has for marking is "Ultimate" and 4ohm.  It came out of a box that was given to me, containing 2 of these unknown 8's and two tweeters.  Left channel went into the left side and right channel into the other.  There is no corssover network,  wires inside run to both the tweeter and the 8" not in series or parellel as I see it, they split at the connector and then go to each.  Sides are seperated.

I don't have room for this box, infact all I have room for is a single 8, maybe a 10.  Since I have the 8 I thought I'd start there.

Now for the amp.  I've looked at it tonight and can now tell you what it is.  It is a Boss AVA-400TR  400w Max and it says MOSFET High power Amplifier 2 ohm stable stereo  (what is Stable stereo?)

Now my question is about what impedance is needed to run a single speaker/sub.  2ohm?

I have no idea about what voice coil this speaker has, nor did I know that would have an impact on what I'm doing?  Do I need to just break down and buy a speaker?  If so, what do I need?

Thanks,

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2003 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
that amp will be about 200 watts rms bridged it will not be 2 ohm stable bridged. only in stereo. in other words 1 2 ohm load on the left ch and1 2 ohm load on the right. you should not worry about 2 ohms. Get a single 4 ohm 10 and run the amp bridged. the amp will run at it's best at 4 ohms. my buddy has a mr2 and we put 2 ten under the front trunk space. It did ok. it did not slam but it did make for a fuller sound in the car. hope i helped you out. have fun with your project.
Big Dave
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2003 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
By how you've described it, the speaker is a SVC (DVC's have 2 pairs of inputs (2 +'s and 2 -'s) instead of just 1 pair). The ohm rating is 4ohms (what is painted on the back of the sub is the overall ohm rating of the speaker). You can run that 1 sub fine with that amp.
From what I've been able to find, you have a 2-channel amp that pushes 200watts per channel at 2ohms. "2ohm stable stereo" simply means that this amp can safely run a 2ohm load on each channel, and produce 200 watts per channel.
If I read your posts correctly, you only want to run one 8" (or possibly one 10" later) speaker from this amp. Since your amp is bridgable, it should be at least stable at a 4ohm bridged load. So what you would do is run the speakers + to the Left + on the amp, then run the speakers - to the Right - on the amp (like your diagram on the amp shows). You have just bridged the amp (meaning you are combining both channels into 1) with 1 speaker.
As for power ratings, if I did the math correctly you will get apx. 400watts to the speaker by doing this (probably a little less). Unless I'm confused, since your amp will do 200x2@2ohms, then it should produce 100x2@4ohms, which would relate to apx. 300-400x1@4ohms bridged.
IMPORTANT
Since you do not know what the speaker is rated at, and don't have any other make/model number to reference, I would highly recommend starting by hooking the speaker up to only 1 channel of the amp first and seeing how it sounds. You would only be pushing apx. 100 watts to it, but you would be able to hear if it was distorted. If you like the sound, then keep the setup. If it still isn't loud enough, then try the bridge that was described earlier, just be aware that 300-400 watts is alot of power to throw to an older single 8" speaker, and you run a serious risk of blowing the speaker (but if you've got the other to replace it, WTH!)
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
ToyNut 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2003 at 6:00 AM / IP Logged  
wvsquirrel,

I have a couple questions.  If I read you correctly, you are suggesting that I not bridge the amp and run the speaker off of one channel to test the speaker.  But, won't this damage the amp?  I've always been told not to run things without speakers hooked up.  Is this just a myth?

Secondly, I understand what you are saying about power vs this unknow type and age speaker.  This amp has a knob, which I think was labeled "power" and min/max.  I assume that this is used to balance the sound to the rest of the system.  Since the rest of the system is realtively weak, 45x4 HU, 2 4" and 2 3 1/2" I expect that I will have that knob at less than half.  Wouldn't this mean that I would be sending less than 400w to the speaker (thinking bridged here)?  Like even less than 200w?

Having never seen a DVC speaker, I assume that one pair of inputs are on one side of the speaker and the other input on the other side?  This speaker has what I briefly noted as different input, in that at the each the + and the - connector there are two for each, but at the same point.  I just figured it was just options to make mounting easier.

So, now for the big question.  If at some point I decide that this partiular 8 is just not getting it done and I decide to replace it, with either a better 8 or a 10, do I want that speaker to be a SVC or a DVC? and if DVC, how do I wire it?  Still bridged? or one channel to one input and the other channel to the other input? And finally would the DVC speaker need to be 2 or 4 ohm?

Ok, now for one last question, and this is a really dumb one!  Last time I ran this amp I did not use the remote feature, I just ran the power from a switchable source.  Am I correct in understanding that if I ran the power from a constant source, like even straight from the battery, and if I ran to the remote a line like from the power antenna HU lead (currently unused, and assuming that it provides 12v output even when the cd is used, I will, of course, test this assumption) that the amp will only be on when the radio is on?

Again, sorry for all the preschool questions.  I knowledge of car audio systems seemed to have stopped with my first car, which was 5" in the doors and 6x9's in the rear deck!  And that was then considered a very nice system Newbie Question - Amp's and Sub's - Last Post -- posted image.

wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2003 at 7:22 AM / IP Logged  
Don't worry, there are no dumb questions on this site. Most of us are trying to increase our knowledge as well Newbie Question - Amp's and Sub's - Last Post -- posted image.
As for your questions...
1) Words still undecided on running amps and not using all the channels. I have personally done this with Kenwood amps before and did not experience a problem. What I would suggest if you run only 1 speaker, is only hook up 1 RCA cable (that is to say if you only run the Left channel of the amp, only run 1 RCA cable using the left input). I said left because most mono setups default to the left channel. By not hooking up the right RCA, you wont have that signal going to the amp and not being used. Just a thought
2) The knob you are referring to is more connonly called the "Gain control". This is an adjustment that allows you to match the amplifier's input voltage to the headunit's RCA pre-out output voltage. By increasing or decreasing the gains, you adjust how "sensitive" the amp's input signal is. Common rule of thumb if you don't know the exact setting to use (or just want to tweak the system) is to turn the gains all the way down, turn the headunit about 3/4 of the way up in volume, then slowly turn the gains up until you start to hear distortion. At that point, back the gains down a little bit (back to a clear/undistorted signal) and you should be at the right setting. One thing to remember about adjusting gains, The higher the number, and usually turning the knob counter-clockwise, is called turning the gains down. The lower the number, and usually turning the knob clockwise, is called turning the gains up. In short, 4volts is a lower sensitivity level than 0.2volts. I believe most headunits have 2 or 3volt RCA pre-outs. But like I said, start low first, then raise the gains. And yes, if you turn the gains down you will be decreasing the amout of wattage that the amp will be outputting (I'm not sure of the exact math behind it though). That's why you start with the gains turned all the way down first (especially if the wattage of the speakers is in question!)
3) You are correct on DVC inputs. I just got into them myself, but all the ones I've seen have inputs on opposite sides of the speaker. Your speaker is a Single Voice Coil. Many SVC speakers (and even some subs) have the type of configuration that you mentioned (2 +'s and 2 -'s, but they are connected together). This is for ease of installation/mounting and different wiring configurations (parallel, series, parallel/series, etc).
4) Based on what you've described, I would suggest upgrading to either a single 4ohm 200-300watt SVC 10" sub ran bridged, or two 4ohm 200watt SVC 10" subs ran in stereo if you can fit both of them. There are still more options that you could do using 2, 4, or 8ohm subs, but unless you're really interested in them I'll stick with the above configurations. I wouldn't recommend DVC's yet unless you have the $'s to fork out, since they can be expensive, and the wiring gets even more complicated! But if you went with one DVC 10" sub, it would need to be 2ohms, wired in series and bridged for a 4ohm total load like this...
Newbie Question - Amp's and Sub's - Last Post -- posted image.
If you're curious on more wiring configurations, here's a link to one of many wiring wizards out there.
5) Actually, the preferred installation method is to run the power wire straight from the battery (fused within 18 inches of the battery). The amp remote can be hooked up to the power antenna wire (if you tested and get signal with both the radio and CD player on). Are you still using the factory headunit? If not, what are you using and I can try to tell you what the remote line is (usually straight blue for remote and blue/white for power antenna on aftermarket headunits). If you are still running the factory headunit, I believe your power antenna wire is BLACK/ red. You could also hook it up to your ignition switch if you wanted too instead. You could also install a toggle switch on the remote line to manually turn it on/off.
Hope that helped. I'm finally off work and getting ready to catch some ZZZZ's!
Again, don't be afraid to ask any questions here Newbie Question - Amp's and Sub's - Last Post -- posted image.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
ToyNut 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2003 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  

wvsquirrel,

Thanks!!  I think that to prevent brain overload, I'm going to stick with a single SVC 4 ohm speaker and run my amp bridged.  Still undecided as to 8 or 10  (I'm kinda hoping that I blow up the 8, what way I can rationalize buying a new one Newbie Question - Amp's and Sub's - Last Post -- posted image.)

No, the HU is not the factory deck, it is a Pioneer, I'll try to remember to write down the model so I can pass it on to you.

As for the Gain Control, I guess they built this amp for simple people like myself, counter clockwise direction is marked "min" and clockwise is marked "max".

I'm seeing some 10's on ebay that are somewhat inexpensive, I would appreciate any input about them.  (many Sony's but I've already gleened what people here think of them so I won't ask)

Really cheap:  Pyramid?  JVC?  Boss?

slightly more, but maybe still in my range:  Kenwood?  Rockford Fosgate? Infinity?

wvsquirrel 
Posted: April 25, 2003 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
No prob. Glad to help.
I've always preferred Rockford, but that's just me. JL makes good subs too. If you run some searches on this site, you can get some in depth professional opinions from guys who have been in the business for years.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2003 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  

Ultimate makes a couple of 8" woofers.  The ones I know about are 4 ohm, rated at about 65 watts RMS, 130 watts peak, are designed for small sealed anclosures, and have a frequency response down to about 40 Hz.  Decent sounding low-end speakers.  The box you describe has the tweeter in parralel with the woofer.  A very un-professional setup, IMO.  Is there at least a capacitor in series with the tweeter?

Me, I'd toss them, especially when trying to do a custom install in a Mr. Two.  I was able to put dual 6 1/2" subs in the center console of one of those once, and it sounded OK for mid-bass  Fill what trunk you have with a nice 10" in a custom cabinet and while it didn't thump, it did sound good.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic