the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

how should i wire these subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2011 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  

sthrnbmpn wrote:
ohm meter will not lie lol, i got a pair of 2ohm dvc kickers an there wired in parallel, they ohm out at 1.3 ohms when it should 1 ohm
both subs are that way,
i wired both subs in series with each other an its a 2.6 final load, go figure im losing amp efficiancy cause i cant get it down to 2 ohms

sthrnbmpn, an ohm meter is not accurate in the manner you are using it here. Impedance is relative to frequency. 1.3 ohms is not accurate. Use 1 ohm.

how should i wire these subs? - Page 3 -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
sthrnbmpn 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2011 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
its a alpine mrp-m1000
600 watts @4 ohms
1000 watts @2 ohms
the kicker subs are 12" cvr d2's
they get loud too
even louder with four
i need to check my own math i guess i swear i was closer than that
1000 watts of lp, now need sum hp an mids
moham 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2011 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  

Hmm, so your subs are 400W rms and 800W peak.

So if your running 2 subs at 2 ohm load, then thats 1000W from the amp, giving 500W to each sub.

If you were to get 4 subs, wouldnt it be only giving 250W per sub assuming your still using 2 ohm load?

What would sound better, 2 fairly powered subs or 4 underpowered subs?

(sorry im no expert, I just want to learn from your experiences) how should i wire these subs? - Page 3 -- posted image.

moham 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2011 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  

Oh and also wouldnt four DVC 2 ohm subs have to be wired at either 1 ohm or 4 ohms?

So wouldnt you either have to have a 1 ohm stable amp, or you would be seriously underpowering them at 4 ohms?

the12volt 
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2011 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  

sthrnbmpn and moham, please read the topics found here: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_topics.asp~FID~22

how should i wire these subs? - Page 3 -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2011 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
My head hurts... Three pages worth of "my head hurts".
Any time you parallel resistances, the final resistance will ALWAYS be lower than the lowest individual resistance in the circuit.
Knowing that, 4-ohms in parallel with 2-ohms can't be three, because 3-ohms is a higher resistance than 2-ohms. Right? Enough of that.
No, four 2-ohm DVC woofers gives you eight 2-ohm voice coils.
You can get MANY impedances; between 16-ohms, all coils wired in series, and .25-ohms all coils wired in parallel. Funky series/parallel combinations can land you on about 16 different totals.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
moham 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2011 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

Couldn't find any answer to this question but just wanted to know what happens if when wiring a 4 ohm DVC sub in parallel, on the wiring diagram it shows you connect positive from one coil to the other coils positive and negative from one coil to negative from the other coil.

But then it shows that you take a postive from one coil and wire it to the amp and then the negative is wired from THE OTHER COIL.

So what exactly happens if you take your positive and negatives from the same coil?

the12volt 
Posted: June 09, 2011 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  

No difference, it's exactly the same.

dukesrebelyell 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2011 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
i cant believe it took 3 pages to figure this out either......check out all the help links provided on this site, they are actually helpful....
35 Hertz custom car audio and automotive fabrication
sthrnbmpn 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2011 at 4:16 AM / IP Logged  
my apologies my face is red, ive read all the stickies before i ever registered,
sum of it stuck an sum of it went straight on thru
theres alot that i think i know an even more that i know i dont know. im just glad sumone stepped in an said "enuff already"
knowledge is a privilage an "im giving it all i got captain"
1000 watts of lp, now need sum hp an mids
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic