icon

which speakers to buy?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
renegade605 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2011 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
So after installing my first car stereo I (unsurprisingly) have blown a couple speakers. Suffice to say I didn't know then what I know now and by the time I learned it was too late to salvage these woofers. So, with that said, I'm looking at some new ones.
My amp is a Proton 222 (really old, yes) and boasts:
-22W RMS per channel, 20-20kHz FTC rated.
-Input Sensitivity 200mV-800mV
-Frequency Response 20 to 20kJz +/- 0.5dB
-Signal-to-Noise Ratio at Rated Power 90dB
-THD at Rated Power 0.02%
(That's just right off the box.)
The two possibilities I've been looking at for replacements are:
Kenwood KFC-C6893PS
Pioneer TS-G6843R
At first I was leaning to the Pioneers cause they're cheaper, but then I found a really good deal on Amazon.com for the Kenwoods (US $40.25 and free shipping!) so I'm not so sure. The Kenwood specs show less SPL and less bass in the frequency response. I don't know how big of a deal the SPL is or if I'd notice the difference. I do have a 10" JL Audio sub so, again, I don't know if the frequency response is a big deal either.
All the reviews I've read are people who replaced stock speakers so I'm not inclined to trust them that much. I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who knows anything about these speakers or has dealt with them before. If these are both crap I'd also appreciate some suggestions about other ideas.
They will be replacing Boston Acoustics 767 (discontinued product, unfortunately or I could just order one woofer to replace the damaged one), and going in a 1998 Ford Contour SE.
Thanks in advance for your help guys.
1998 Ford Contour SE
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X794
Boston Acoustics ProSeries 6.2, Proton 250
Kenwood KFC-C6893PS, Proton 222
renegade605 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2011 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
I decided to go with the Kenwoods. I heard them in a Future Shop and I like the way they sound, and the Amazon deal was just too good to turn down. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to the page but if anyone's interested I'm sure you could find them with a search. :) Happy tuning.
1998 Ford Contour SE
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X794
Boston Acoustics ProSeries 6.2, Proton 250
Kenwood KFC-C6893PS, Proton 222
sthrnbmpn 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2011 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
kenwoods are a gd entry level speaker , i got 2 - 6.5's ive been delaying to put in my doors kfc-1689 ie, their good looking kenwood coax's, im gonna put sum speaker baffles behind them on the door skin (inside)
the link didnt work
1000 watts of lp, now need sum hp an mids

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic