icon

oem gm radio compatibility

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
roblowsta 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2011 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
My 02 Yukon was purchased with an aftermarket radio in it. Unfortunately, some idiot broke into my truck and stole it. I'm looking at OEM radios for a replacement but I'm wondering which ones are compatible. I believe it was a non-Bose system without On-Star.
My questions are:
1. Can an OEM Bose radio go into a truck that originally had the basic system?
2. Can radios from the newer GM models be installed in an 02 Yukon?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 18, 2011 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  

No and No.  The Bose units do not have enough voltage to drive speakers.  It will play, but the volume will not be lound enough to hear unless the truck is stationary. 

The 03 and newer decks are controlled by the vehicle computer.  There is not even a switched power wire on the new units.  There is a data wire that tells the radio when to turn on and off.  You can not even take a radio from one 03 truck and install it in another 03 unit.  Unless you take it to the dealership and pay them around 100 dollars to tell the trucks computer that it is OK to work with that radio.

sthrnbmpn 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2011 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like your better off with a aftermarket h.u. or a earlier year model head unit, you must be trying to keep the thieves away by going back with stock? gd move
i was always impressed with some stock units, my 98 sierra had a loud ahss stock system with a aftermaket 120 watt pioneer amp an kicker comp 10 in a sealed box, that was plenty enuff for a ex cab truck for me
1000 watts of lp, now need sum hp an mids

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic