icon

2006 dodge caravan

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
smouris 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2011 at 9:02 AM / IP Logged  
I need help with installing a better sound system in my 2006 Dodge Caravan.  I have kids obviously so I don't need the loudest system but I want something that bumps a little and sounds good.  Any suggestions?  I also noticed they dont have the wiring instructions on this site so do you think its something I could do myself or should have done professionally.  I haven't installed many radios and no amps sub woofers ect but I am a fast learner and with the right instructions I think I could handle this myself.  Thanks
Steve
smouris 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2011 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
I am mainly looking for advice on what type of equipment I should get and how to install. 
Steve
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2011 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
does your caravan have the stock upgraded infinity system? does it say infinity anywhere on the factory radio or anywhere on the door? if does, its either gonna be a little harder or a little more expensive to do whatever you want to do other than just change the speakers.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2011 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
if you want to install a new radio into the existing infinity system you will either need a special amplifier integration harness or you will need to bypass the factory amp.
if you want to install a whole new system with amplifiers then all you will really need to do is bypass the factory amp and install a new radio and run the signal off of that.
sthrnbmpn 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2011 at 6:25 AM / IP Logged  
if you dont have an infinity system in your van, i would start with a new head unit, front door an rear passenger speakers, an then a 5 channel amp for a nice concealed sub that you can tuck away somewhere,
an as soundsecurity said you can find adapters for the wiring, youll have to invest in some wire strippers, butt connectors, crimpers an such. the adapters should have labels on the individual wires,
if you got plenty of patience it will pay off in the end to do it yourself, it is possible ! im just going by what i should of done to my van because i went at it kind of backwards
1000 watts of lp, now need sum hp an mids
smouris 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2011 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
How do I know if its an infinty system or not.  The next thing I wanted to know is what kind of speakers should I get.  I think currently there are two in the dash, two in the front doors and two in the rear.  I definetly think I am going to try to do this myself to save money and do it the way I want.  I also wanted to know what you thought about buying new or looking for things off craigs list.  I wanted to spend at most 5 to 6 hundred but would like it less if possible. 
Steve
sthrnbmpn 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2011 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
soundsecurity said it should be written on the speaker grilles, ive seen a 06 durango with infinity an it had the tweeters right next to the side view mirror , with the name written so you couldnt miss it, 5.25's is the size of durangos doors, front an back
some people on craigslist like to price high, so i would research new prices before you buy sumthing that looks like a good deal
agood head unit with 50 x 4 wattage would sound pretty good, then a gd monoblock amp, nothing to powerful cause it affects headlights dimming an hard on your amp (low voltage spikes)
1000 watts of lp, now need sum hp an mids

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic