icon

hifonics amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mobilesndfx 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2011 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
I currently have (3) JL Audio 10W3v2 subs run by a JL Audio 500/1 amp that Im pulling from my car and putting in a new car. I want to upgrade the power to the subs, Id love to get the 1000/1, but cant afford it. Back in the day, lets just say the late 80's, HiFonics was all over the place. I owned a HiFonics amp back then and was very impressed with them. So now I see online you can get a HiFonics HFi1500D for less than $200, new and from an authorized internet dealer. Is this worth buying, or am I better off saving for the JL 1000/1?
Alpine 9835, MB Quart components, (3) JL Audio 10w3v2, JL Audio 500/1, JL Audio 300/4, Streetwires wiring
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 17, 2011 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  

Series IX or Series X was the last of the original product.  They were manufactured by Zed Audio.  They have changed hands several times since then.  They are now owned by the Maxxsonics group. You get what you pay for.  They are inexpensive, but when they break, they break BIG.

douglas79 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2011 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  

Well, I think you already know that the JL 1000.1 would be better...but like you said, it's pretty expensive.   Hifonics is a sort of in-between amplifier.  It's not junk like legacy, boss, hitron, pyramid etc., but it's not good like JL, alpine, sundown etc. It's worth noting also that even though JL is a quality manufacturer their stuff tends to be overpriced and some stuff is WAYYY overpriced (1000.1v2 goes for about $800 which is insane to me).

Hifonics tends to be honest with their power ratings and they don't have high failure rates and weird problems like the total junk-brands do; so overall it's an okay inexpensive amplifier.  A brand to consider that is pretty good but not highly-expensive would be Audioque...you could get something that would put out around  1000WRMS@1ohm for under $300 or around 1000Wx1@2ohms for under $450.  If I was in the market for a 1000WRMS amp, I would be expect to spend (and be willing to spend) $300-$500 for a quality unit.

sthrnbmpn 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2011 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
so your looking for 1500 for under 200? hifonics would be your best bet,
i seen a nice amp, crescendo 2k for less than 350 new, that would make an even better amp being that it is rated 2k at 12v, 12v being real world actual power for most cars
1000 watts of lp, now need sum hp an mids

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic