icon

kicker zx 650.4

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
grandamgt95 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2011 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  

I have a Kicker ZX 650.4 running 2 Kicker Comp 12's I have it brigged but if i run it for like 3 min. it gets really really HOT and idk why or what to do!

GrandAmGT
douglas79 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2011 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
Kicker makes pretty decent amps so I doubt it would overheat under typical operating conditions.  I would say that either the amp is bad or you're trying to put a 2ohm load to each of the bridged channels.  In order to hook the subs up to that amp in bridged mode, each sub needs to be either 4ohmSVC or 2ohmDVC.
douglas79 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2011 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  

Actually, I looked up the subs on kicker's website and it says the subs are only available in 4ohmSVC or 8ohmSVC, so low impedance is not the issue (unless you have some older model 2ohmSVC model).  I just realized that you didn't say that the amp shuts off, just that it gets really hot.  That may just be how the amp is.  A buddy of mine had a JL amp that would get so hot you couldn't touch it after only a few minutes BUT despite how hot it got it never overheated.  Also, I had a Sony amp about 10 years ago that was like that...it got super hot but never overheated.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 18, 2011 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
With the amp powered up, and the volume at 0, leave it on for 10 minutes.  Check it every couple of minutes, does it get hot?
ac0j 
Copper - Posts: 121
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2011 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
also put a voltmeter on the amps power wire while playing the system and see what the voltage is doing, is it dropping below 12 volts?
grandamgt95 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2011 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys I got it fixed i have it running clean at 8ohms and it feels cold as ice even after bumping for 20min!!(:
GrandAmGT

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic