the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

1998 firebird monsoon w/aftermarket speak

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mthake 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2011 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  
Hi all, its been a while, but i have another project I'm working on. I purchased this 98 Firebird, which had a cheap system built before it was repo'd. I have restored the original Monsoon stereo, reconnected the factory harness' properly. However, i still have some cheap "Dual" speakers at the rear seats and in the door panels. The sound just isn't right. Would it be worth the money to purchase some factory original 2ohm speakers, to get the stock Monsoon system complete again?
ac0j 
Copper - Posts: 121
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2011 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
If you want to use the Monsoon stereo system, then you need the Monsoon speakers to make it soud right. The Monsoon factory speakers are usually Bi-amped.
k.gren 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2011 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
Monsoon, like Bose and Infinity, have a factory amplifier that runs at 2 ohms. Aftermarket speakers run at 4 ohms. If you want more sound, either run new speaker wires to bypass the factory amp, put the monsoon 2 ohm speakers back in, or by the factory integration adapter for the wiring harness. Your choice
~K.Gren~
mthake 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2011 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
Guys, thank so much for the helpful information. I've decided to go another route. The typical Monsoon digital display problem on 2 different units, i'm done.
I've purchased an Alpine CDE-121, pair of alpine component for the front doors, an Alpine 1043 sub for the rear, with a alpine 100w amp. I also have bought a set of standard alpine speakers for the mids, should i place those in the rear seat speaker locations or the rear hatch speaker locations?
georgerocco 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2011 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
I had a 97 Firebird with the monsoon system. Did components up front and replaced the rears in the pillars. I disconnected the hatch speakers, and it sounded great.   I did put the tweeters in the a pillars instead of the factory locations though
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2011 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  
With a sub there isnt much point in having mid speakers in the hatch area. I usually do mids in the back seat with a sub, and 6x9 in the hatch only if there is no sub.
To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic