the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper 5901 in a 2011 Ford F-150

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2011 at 1:55 AM / IP Logged  

Great info!  Thanks.

While the wire colors have changed from the 2010 somewhat, the SJB plug layout is similar.  The Lock and Unlock wires can also be found in Plug C of the SJB (top plug, left side), Pins 6 and 8, respectively.

Soldering is fun!
2006ramcrazy 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2011 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks Kreg,
I think between all of us putting our heads together we can come up with a solid diagram for the '11....
I also want to throw out there that I know for a fact the 2010 and 2011 are different in terms of wire colors so I can not confirm as of yet if the wiring I just posted is accurate therefore I want anyone using it to please verify connections beforehand so they don't end up with a problem as I have.
2006ramcrazy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2011 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
Ok I got the PKTX yesterday in the mail and I was looking over the install instructions and they look simple enough.... I do however have a question.
It says I have the choice of a regular connection or a D2D connection if the Viper supports D2D, which it does...
My question is, can somebody explain to me the purpose of the D2D and how it makes the install easier?
The instructions/programing are a bit confusing because it says to hook up the D2D to program and then for the last step it says to disconnect it and go back to step one...
based on the instructions it appears it is only needed for programing but my Viper shows it's connected permanently...
Thanks guys
2006ramcrazy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2011 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
Just another update:
Just heard from the dealer, They have narrowed it down to the dash harness and ordered a new one which should be in tomorrow. So I should be able to pick it up tomorrow.
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2011 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
Maybe you accidentally sliced across multiple wires without realizing? I don't think there is an installer alive who hasn't done this at least once.
Well glad they figured it out anyways.
To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
2006ramcrazy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2011 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
While anything is a possible, I seriously doubt it. I am very cautious working with any wiring. In all honestly, I think I just tied into the wrong wire.
I'm certainly not an "installer" by any means however I've installed probably close to 30 or 40 car alarm and remote starts since I was in high school and I've never experienced anything like this before.
As thin as the wires are on my truck, my guess is I accidentally powered a ground with that parking light wire from the alarm and burnt a ground wire in the harness. They are really thin wires.
anyway, it is what it is....I'll find out tomorrow if I'm paying a huge bill or not. I hope not lol.
2006ramcrazy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2011 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
Wonderful News guys!
Picked her up last night and it's fixed.
I may NOT have caused this after-all... It's hard to tell at this point.
I spoke with the tech that worked on her and he said that I actually had two problems..but he thinks one caused the other...It's hard to tell.
He found the dash wiring harness was pinched where the dash bolts into the cab. Probably happened during assembly. He replaced it and then discovered the headlamps switch was shorted out so he replaced that and it was fixed.
He believes the pinched/shorted wires shorted out the switch.
So I have a new dash harness properly routed and a new switch...
And the best part of all.... NO CHARGE. Warranty covered it all, even the rental truck.
Very happy camper now.
So I guess I'll get back on this month long viper install Saturday when I'm off work.
magas 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2011 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
Great post thanks for the input
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2011 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  

Excellent!   Viper 5901 in a 2011 Ford F-150 - Page 6 -- posted image.  Buy that dealers service personnel a couple of dozen doughnuts on your next visit!

To answer your PKTX D2D question...

The D2D harness can be used to save some wiring between the bypass module and the Viper.  In your case, the PKTX is only performing the bypass function and it only saves you 3 wires ( Power, ground and GWR ).  With other modules and vehicle applications, the number of wire connections eliminated can be 12 or more. Check out the DB-ALL install guide on a 2010 Titan.  D2D saves like 14 wire connections ( if it works, I still go W2W ).

That last step in the PKTX programming guide ( disconnecting the 4 Pin D2D harness ) is only necessary if the LED gos solid red after you get the ten blinks and step on the brake pedal ( to cancel the remote start up ). Basically you are starting the process all over with a reset.

Soldering is fun!
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2011 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  
Good to hear on the no cost fix :)
To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
Page of 11

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic