amp stopped working, 06 chrysler 300

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ak_wangster 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2011 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
Hi!
first time posting, wish i would have found this place a lot sooner. i have been playing around with subs and amplifiers for years with my last 3 vehicles... but now i'm running into a LOT of problems so hopefully someone can help! before you read all of this i am looking to get a new amplifier and cant decide which would push my subs best.
alright...
I have a 2006 Chrysler 300
-Right now i have 2 15" l7 kicker subs in the trunk in a sealed box. (dual 4 ohm parallel wired to 1 ohm)
-The amp just stopped working... its done this almost 5 times now and I've had to send it in for repairs (under warranty) it is a planet audio 3000 watt mono block class D
-i have 0 gauge wire for power and ground
-i have a kinetic 800 gel cell battery in between the battery and amp, with fuses on both sides
-i have a Jensen head unit, its a 7in touch with all the bells and whistles but it's only got a single rca jack, so i had to put a splitter in between to make two female ends.
-recently installed 2 squirrel fans and lifted amp so that it doesnt overheat...
all of my problems have come from the amp. it may be my wiring, but i doubt it... i had them wired to 4 ohms a while back, then switched to 1 ohm to pull more power. i dont know what went wrong with it, but i dont think it was overheating (but then again i live in texas)
I hope this all makes sense... i would really like to hear my bass again =( i need a reliable amp that will push the two l7s, my price range is around 600 dollars. help!
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2011 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
your problem is that that planet audio is junk. used to sell them for a little while and most amps blew up within 6 months no matter what we had them running and how it was wired.
i suggest a soundstream tarantula trx.2000, try to find the older model, its solid black with the word tarantula in the middle. this amp is a beast.
also before you go installing another amp i would make sure your power and ground connections are good. just because you have 0 gauge wire doesnt mean anything unless the connection is tight and the surface is bare metal.
co_ne_dub 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2011 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
wow 5 replacement/repairs and still the same issue?
I would double check your connections as stated above. Soldered ends rarely if ever have problems. make sure you have a good ground and not some intermittent ground. How is your electrical system?
Any unusual power hogging accessories? You mentioned recently adding 2 fans. How are you turning those on? Is there enough current to turn on your amp at the remote wire?
ac0j 
Copper - Posts: 121
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2011 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  

Do they ever tell you what part of the amp is repaired?  That would help a little.  Did you have this problem BEFORE when your subs were at 4 ohms?

I would bet your voltage is dropping too low, and the amp's power supply is overheating.  You need MORE power to the amp. either with better connections or charging system.  Just a guess though!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic