icon

am fm antenna recommendations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dadtruck 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2011 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  

any recommendations on a replacement AM FM antenna, wanting to do away with the fender mount antenna on the 83 D-150,, since this is a pick up, a roof mount would need to be a shorter height.,

found this internal window mount,, would this unit need line of sight view through a window, or would it work if mounted inside the cab?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12044UA200/Universal-Window-mount-Antenna.html?search=am+fm+car+antenna

DadTruck
dadtruck 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2011 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  

also found this roof mount model

http://compare./like/160632634384?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

is this a good one? Can I hook up the antenna power wire to the radio power lead,, as I don't believe my existing radio has a separate power antenn connection.

DadTruck
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2011 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
The best type of antenna for reception is a fender mount one that is mounted to a large metal portion of the vehicle. Most radio's are designed to work with an antenna that is approximately 31 inches tall. The antenna is optimized for FM and not AM. The mast receives 1/2 of the radio signal and the other half comes through the antenna's ground plain. The metal fender is the ground plain. Using a shorter antenna decreases reception. Usually the shorter antenna has the center conductor coiled like a pig tail so it isn't as long unless you pulled it straight. Amplified antenna's only amplify anything that it can. This includes static. Using an interior antenna reduces reception as it doesn't have a proper ground plain. If your windows are tinted, the signal will also be reduced. You need to ask yourself which is more important, looks or radio reception.
sparky
dadtruck 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2011 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  

thanks

and that is exactly what I was wanting to have answered,, from someone who knows about the subject and was not trying to make a sell.

I listen to a lot of satelite radio,, but from time to time I also listen to the lower powered community and pbs FM stations, so I'll stay with a fender mount.

DadTruck
ac0j 
Copper - Posts: 121
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2011 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  

sparkie wrote:
The best type of antenna for reception is a fender mount one that is mounted to a large metal portion of the vehicle. Most radio's are designed to work with an antenna that is approximately 31 inches tall. The antenna is optimized for FM and not AM. The mast receives 1/2 of the radio signal and the other half comes through the antenna's ground plain. The metal fender is the ground plain. Using a shorter antenna decreases reception. Usually the shorter antenna has the center conductor coiled like a pig tail so it isn't as long unless you pulled it straight. Amplified antenna's only amplify anything that it can. This includes static. Using an interior antenna reduces reception as it doesn't have a proper ground plain. If your windows are tinted, the signal will also be reduced. You need to ask yourself which is more important, looks or radio reception.

The AM / FM antenna is a failed attempt to do two different jobs with one antenna.  The antenna length applies to frequency only.  It has NOTHING to do with Amplitude Modulation (AM) or Frequency Modulation (FM)    The AM band, to work well, REQUIRES the Ground plane obtained from the antenna mounting surface. In the lower frequecny AM band the ground plane acts as if it is doubleing the antenna length. (sort of a loose description)  FM is very easy to receive with even the shortest antennas.  You can strip an antenna cable down to the center conductor with NO antenna, and pick up as much FM as a proper antenna does.  FM radio broadcasts are "line of sight" and AM broadcasts will bounce back and forth between the earth and the atmosphere.  Thats why at times, you can receive AM from long distances away, almost never with FM.

dadtruck 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2011 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  

two responses,, and in those two a lot of separation on what should be a defineable subject,

Maybe I mis posted ,,,This is the car audio section??

or maybe I am just dumber that I thought,, is this that difficult of a question?

FM antenna,, is length and fender mount important?

How about a roof mount?

DadTruck

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic