problem with tweeters

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
krikloch 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2011 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, this is my first post.
I'm having an issue with a new component system I just put in my '96 Explorer. It's an Infinity Reference 5x7" set with Kappa tweeters, here's my problem.
My tweeter on the driver's side is not working. I have touched the connections to the bare wires coming into the x-over (LF spkr wires from head unit) and it makes no noise (x-over ruled out). I can, however, wire it up anywhere on the other side and it works just fine. Have also tried other tweeters with the same result. My woofer in the door is running perfectly on this signal... What could be the issue here?
krikloch 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2011 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
I should also mention that it is not the head unit, or any kind of crossover setting on the head unit. I recently changed it out and am experiencing the same issue.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2011 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
If you touch the tweeter leads to the crossover input and get noise, the tweeter is OK. If you touch the tweeter leads to the tweeter output of the crossover, and get no noise, the crossover is bad.
Just because the woofer has output, the high-pass section doesn't HAVE to be working. Have you tried OTHER working tweeters (from the other door, perhaps) in the same place, connected to the tweeter output of the crossover? No output? Bad crossover, there's no other answer. Another possible step to try in diagnosing the issue, is to swap the possibly offending crossover to the other side of the car, trading a known good one into the possibly bad one's spot. Does the issue follow the crossover module? Definitely a bad crossover.
If I am misunderstanding your described diagnosis steps, I apologize, but I think I interpreted correctly, and I hope I offered another step in dignosing the issue.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
krikloch 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2011 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
No, I understand how to troubleshoot the crossover, I think you misunderstood. I have tried connecting the tweeter to the crossover input wire (the wire coming straight from the head unit) and I get no noise what so ever. I can connect it to the tweeter output of the pass side crossover and it works fine. I've tried three tweeters with the same result. I'm assuming it is something to do with the actual wire coming from the head unit. I will probably re-run the speaker wires to the crossover later today and see if that fixes the problem. I'm still open to any ideas though, so keep them coming.
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2011 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
The situation you described seems to be impossible to me....are you sure the woofer is actually working from the signal that will not power the tweeter?
If the wiring is powering the woofer than it should easily power the tweeter without the x-over when testing it. (unless the low impedance of the Infinity's causes the amp in the HU to cut out...I don't know enough about impedance/amps to know if that is a reasonable thought.)
I would bet its the x-over or the wiring. Eliminate the wiring like you said you were going to and it has to be the x-over IF the tweeter works when hooked up to the other side of the car.
Dodge Magnum in progress:
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic