icon

fiberglass headliner

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ir8st8 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2003 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  

i have a 96 dakota single cab and i want to build an overhead console to hold 4 volt meters 4 toggle switches and 2 4" monitors. ive removed the headliner material and there is a mold of like fiber or some sort of board....can i shape out the gauge pods and tv locatons and glass the whole thing toghther?(overhead console to the headliner)  should i just resin and fill the board andglass the 2 peices together should i use mat on the whole thing? or mabey just mat where the console and headliner meet to make 1 peice?

this is my first post... sorry its so long.... but ive been stuck on this site ever scince i found it ... great tutorial help and friendly posts make this site an a+ in my book

thanks in advance...fiberglass headliner - Last Post -- posted image.

"thats red to negitive and black to postive....... right?"
kustomcarluvr 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2003 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
I am not to sure of the way that your headliner is but I would have to say, mat the whole thing to make sure that it is strong enough for everything that you are putting in it. I would also try to fasten the headliner (fiberglass) to the roof if it doesn't have a way already. Rivets hold quite nicely and are quite easy to cover up. I don't know if this would be the best, or easiest way to do it but this is probably what I would do.
ir8st8 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2003 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

thanks i am gonna secure it to the visor bolts in the front, getting rid of the visors and in the back there are 2 coat hook bolts im gonna use to hold it up and get rid of the hooks....

matting the whole thing is what i was thinking also .... just didnt wanna go overkill if i didnt need to...

thanks for the reply

chkdsk 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2003 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

ir8st8,

If you're going to be adding more weight to the liner and/or roof, you also may want to specifically add more glass/resin to structure for strength. Concentrate around the mounting points, and the flat areas. You will generally have more strength in the "curvy" areas...

ir8st8 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2003 at 6:35 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks ill try that.... ill let you guys know when its done so i can send pics.....

r4ng3r95 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2003 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
If i were to glass the liner area and add some stuff. how would i mount it to the roof? Screws or what. I have a 95 Ford Ranger btw
sunsetcavy 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  

fiberglassing the headliner looks great and all, but sometimes i dont think its worth it. unless your base (the headliner stock) is a pretty strong material, your gonna run into curving problems. mine was cardboard with a cloth cover, and when i was done it was 5" too big along the edges, warped like a sob, and not to mention heavy as hell. if it has retaining clips. think about adding some more. double sided 3m tape works great in the middles to keep it from sagging. and definatly dont over do it with mat or resin. you want it to keep some shape while having just a slightly bit more stablity where your mounting your whatnots. in fact, i would only do 1 layer of mat around the whole thing, then build up where im mounting stuff. if it gets too heavy youll wind up with a bunch of headachs.

(btw, this wasnt my 1st fiberglassing project..its just the worst one lol, i do know how to glass)

if i hold my breath, the rain will stop?
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
what you can do is keep the head liner material on. the resin will soak into it well. you can add quite a bit of weight to it before it will sag. another thing you need to keep in mind is that if you have to bend it to get it out you will have to bend it to get it in. if you glass it if wont be as flexable. you may have to take the windshield out to get it back in.....its not that big of a deal to do or get it done, but you run the risk of having it break and having to buy a new one. so keep that in mind
audiomecanix 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2003 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
strip the headliner.spray it with 3m glue lay some trunk liner down and glass it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic