icon

python 5303p and smartstart

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TheevesLLC 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2011 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
i'm working on an 08 impala, i am hooking up both a smartstart and a dball to the bitwriter port for d2d use, with a d2d y-harness. the dball functions perfectly, but i'm unable to get anything from the smartstart. there is an amber and a green led on the smartstart module,amber for indicating system status and green for comm status. the amber light shows every step and process it should, but the green comm light never even flashes once.
i've accessed the smartstart module through the installation portal, and it passes internal and network diagnostics, and reports as working, however it's entirely unable to communicate with the alarm. i've attempted removing the dball and using a straight harness to the alarm brain, and still nothing. i've tried a different harness, swapping plug ends, the only thing i've not tried is another smartstart module.
any ideas?
Thack79 
Silver - Posts: 526
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2011 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
the smart start plugs into the bitwriter port (esp) and not the dsd that the control module hooks to.
TheevesLLC 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2011 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  

it does and i did.  both the xpresskit dball and the smartstart module connect to the bitwriter port on the alarm brain, with a y-harness.  the alarm brain is obviously capable of a d2d connection as the dball functions flawlessly (i've never done one of those before, but holy hell that was a 5wire install for a fully featured remote starting trunk popping light flashing horn honking deal!) while connected to the bitwriter port.

the smart start module has a brown wire and a white wire loop which it instructs to cut one depending on the connection method.  it didn't occur to me until now to try the other wire, but connecting a DEI accessory to a DEI alarm via the bitwriter port, that's a D2D connection right?   that's the selection i made...

thanks

flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2011 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
Smartstart and the 5303P uses the brown 4 pin plug on the smartstart to the reddish port on the 5303P. Neither the white or the brown loop get cut. If one of the loops are cut now, then you must rejoin the loop. Then power cycle the smartstart by removing power and reconnecting power.
TheevesLLC 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2011 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  

the brown plug?  i suppose my exhaustive attempts never included using the brown plug, because i assumed d2d was the interface type.  the brown plug is for esp, correct?  i'd love to try that,  but i have the following concern:

the (red) bitwriter port on the 5303p, is currently connected to an xpresskit dball in d2d mode.  can the port handle a d2d and esp connection simultaneously, and if so, would i just splice the plug into the y-harness...? with diodes or just plain old splicing?

i'm truly appreciative of your help!

flobee4 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2011 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  
I always hardwire my bypasses. So, since I never use the D2D Port on the brain for a bypass, its always open for smartstart. From what I've read, there is no y-cable. The DB-all and smartstart use 2 different protocols, the brain autodetects when one or the other is plugged in. To use smartstart with the 5303P, you will need to hardwire(w2w) the DB-all. Also from what I read, Only the higher end Vipers(and their python counterparts) have 2 ports on them. When I do DEI because someone wants smartstart, I use the 4103, 4113 or the 5303. All of which only have one port.
TheevesLLC 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2011 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
i assure you there is a y-harness, as i hold it in my hand. a good google search should show them to you, even by the 10pk. i suppose i could hardwire the dball, but i'm not sure that would help, as i've tried unplugging the dball, power cycling the smartstart and the alarm brain, and plugging only the smartstart in. nothing changes.
the smartstart is capable of using BOTH d2d and esp protocols (not simultaneously), the manual is very clear on that, and i believe the dball is either d2d or w2w.
i do agree with you that the 5303 has only one port, but i read plenty of info citing the use of a y-harness to connect two d2d devices to one alarm, and again, the smartstart should at least be able to communicate with the alarm brain if it were the only module connected to the bitwriter. i understand it wouldn't be able to lock/lightflash/autostart or anything else with the dball unplugged, however i'm looking at the status led on the unit itself, and the yellow power light illuminates and cycles properly but the green comm light (still) never flashes.
thanks
TheevesLLC 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2011 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
on a side note, i've noticed that if i have both the 4pin serial cable and the 2pin power cable connected (on the smartstart), and then remove the 2pin power cable, the power LED remains illuminated. it does so until i remove the 4pin as well, requiring me to remove and replug both cables to visually achieve power cycle via LED. is that typical?
flobee4 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2011 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  
The smartstart talks to the 5303P in bitwriter language. The DB-all talks in DBi language. Once one of the modules is plugged into the data port, the proper language is detected and the data port on the 5303 changes over to corresponding language. The reason the y-harness is sold is so you can plug in TWO data bypasses to the 5303, Because it is 2 DBi protocols in each of the bypasses, they communicate just fine. Again, the smartstart talk in bitwriter language. If you READ the smartstart manual, it will say the D2D port is NOT to be used on any remote starter system. It goes on the explain that the D2D port on the smartstart is used to activate a bypass module in place of a remote starter. So the smartstart is activating the bypass and the bypass is starting the car and controlling doorlocks and such features. Xpresskits web site launches on the page that talks about these firmwares RSR.
Hopefully that gives you a better explanation why what you are trying to achieve WILL NOT work. You have to change your DB-All to W2W.
TheevesLLC 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2011 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  

i'm not well versed on whichever serial languages that these devices communicate in, and i've only received the "smartstart quick reference install guide" with my dsm200, but it clearly states that by severing the brown wire loop and power cycling the unit, it would boot in d2d communication mode, as opposed to severing neither wire and operating in esp mode.  the install guide i have is here:

http://www.directed.com/smartstart/iphone/Documents/QRNDSM200_2010-08_web.pdf

perhaps there's a more indepth manual i've not received?  the dsm200 unit in question is a factory refurb/deactivated unit, so it was just the unit in a box, and i got that doc from the xpresskit website.

with the weight of the information you've given me, my new interpretation of that manual seems to indicate connecting the smartstart directly to the dball?  perhaps you'd be as kind as to review that linked document, and correct me where i'm wrong.

again, i'm in your debt for all of your assistance, and apologize if i seem curt or abrupt.

connor

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic