icon

karr security system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bngriss 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2012 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  
I installed a new HU in my 2008 Tahoe yesterday. While running a Switched 12V connection from the Ignition, I came across a Karr Security System Alarm Wiring. The brains were missing, but the shock sensor, harness and a relay were all there. I popped open the hood for further investigation but I found no indication of a speaker. I did find a Pos wire connection for what appears to be a battery backup of the alarm. Could anyone provide me some info on what model was in here? I do plan to install an aftermarket alarm. if I had a model number I could possibly track down a manual and use the pre-existing wiring. Here are the specifics on what I found:
-2008 Chevy Tahoe bought certified pre-owned
-The shock sensor has two connections coming in, one with all black wiring and the other with Gray, Red, Yellow, Black and BLACK/ White
-The main wiring is a 20 pin connector with only 14 wires in the connector. The colors are Grey, White, Red, Purple, Orange, BLACK/ Green, Blue, and 5 black wires (believe those are the input into the sensor)
-The harness has a white label with four numbers on it, 6801
Thanks for any help you can provide!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2012 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
Have you tried Googling Karr?
I don't honestly think they are around any more but your vehicle info should be here.
As a pro when working with an unknown product the rule is to "follow the wiring".
bngriss 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2012 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
I have in fact Googled the company.  Without going through all of the pages, the top links that pop up are for a Dealership in Waco Texas and information on installers who specialize in dealership installs.  I followed some of the wiring but right now, there isn't a point.  I know for sure it was an alarm system and have a great idea where they all go.  I was just curious if someone could provide a model based off of their experience.  I do know that Karr appears to be under control by Audiovox and isn't the best alarm out there.  I guess it is time to rip the dash apart and install something new/better.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2012 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
i saw a box like that in a car i installed a tracking device for a use car lot. i think the shock sensor you mentioned is also a door pin input device that takes all the doorpins and wires them together for the alarm. its all designed to be as plug and play as possible for factory add on installs.
if you want to use the same wires you can just meter then to find out what they are, but if i was going to install a new alarm then i would just replace it all. plus you will need a lock interface for that tahoe anyway and it should also give you a doorpin output and maybe the hatch pin output too. i would just replace it all and start fresh.
also on a side note i hope you didnt just run the ignition for your radio straight to the ignition wire at the ignition harness. newer chevys dont have any high current wires at the ignition harness so if you add something that draws too much power from that wire then it could cause problems with the car. you should have used the factory ignition to activate a relay and run the main power from a high current 12v source like the battery or the fuse box.
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2012 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
It was a Karr 4040 and a Karr 2040... It was a dealer installed product that the consumer/buyer had the option of "activating" when vehicle was purchased. If activation was declined... They would simply un-plug the brain. You got to keep all the wiring. Cmon man... It was a dual-Brain alarm... Dealer Mode and Customer mode... BTW... Most were installed with T-Taps. Might not be a bad idea to totally de-install.
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2012 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
If i remember right... 4040 was with factory keyless... 2040 was w/o keyless... They were in something like 90% of dealers in California. Not so well everywhere else.
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic