icon

audiovox upgrade possible?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bluegold 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2012 at 6:44 AM / IP Logged  

I currentl have a Audiovox Pursuit Pro-9675FT4 alarm which was installed in my Chevy Express conversion van in 2002. Is it possible to upgrade to a newer Audiovox model in  which the existing connectors will just plug into the new module? If so is it worth while going with Audiovox versus another make?

Thank you,bluegold  

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 13, 2012 at 8:05 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, most if not all of the Audiovox connectors have fortunately remained the same over the years.
Is anything wrong with the system you have, or do you just want something with more features, like a 2-way remote and/or more range?
Anyway.....
Pursuit PRO9776C or Prestige APS687C is the current version of what you have. The new system has remotes that look better, are easier to use, and a new antenna with LED and valet button built in. Some installers say the new antenna has better range, but Audiovox doesn't document anything they do so this is hard to verify.
You could plug in the 9776C/APS787C right into your existing 9675FT4 connectors as is, or if you want the new antenna for possible better range, you'd have to run the new antenna cable (it's different), which shouldn't be too hard.
If you want 2-way remote and/or more range, there's the Pursuit PRO9801C or Prestige APS997C (2-way 1400 feet). The only two connectors that are different are the antenna cable, and the main connector that has your ground, parking lights, tach, and door trigger---you'd need to either re-run these wires, or cut the wires off your old connector and resplice the new wires.
There are some longer-range units (I think SS9000? not sure model number) that have the same connectors as the 9801C/APS997C, just with a yet-again-different antenna cable.
P.S. 9776C/787C remotes can be programmed to what you already have. If you just don't like your remotes, you don't have to replace the system.
bluegold 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2012 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  

Thank you for the information. The Pro_9675FT4 that is currently in my van was installed by the 1st owner I am the 2nd. The siren was disconnected I rewired and does not work. I disonnected and jumped to the battery still nothing so bottom line I need a new siren. So I was just thinking with the age am I better of upgrading. I realize the siren is only about $20.00, but  I have not priced out a new system yet. My concern is I buy a siren and there is more wrong than just that. Is there any test that I can do to verify that it works without the siren?

Thank again for the information, it is very helpful.

bluegold

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2012 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
Two tests, assuming it's a siren rather than a speaker, take the siren input wire, note I don't know if this is POS (+) or NEG(-) so test the following way, DMM set to 20VDC, red probe to battery and black to siren input, trigger the alarm.
If nothing reverse the probes and try again.
If nothing both times it's the alarm brain, if you get a reading it's the siren.
Second test, take the two siren leads, flash to either side of the battery, again if nothing, reverse the leads. If still nothing you have a faulty siren, my money is in the siren.
Quick and dirty method:- Take a 12volt test light or a side light bulb, place on the two siren wires and trigger the alarm, if it lights up you have a faulty siren.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2012 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
I just checked, I believe the "Siren input" is a WHITE/ black from the brain to red on the siren.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2012 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
The newer models don't come with a siren. The PRO9776C uses the cars horn. An alternative would be to spend nothing and connect the BLACK/ white off your unit to the horn wire of your truck.
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2012 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
Don't look at ME that way Mike, what's a Chevy?
We do have Corvettes and Chevy labelled Daewoos whatever they were.
Also what's an Audiovox?
bluegold 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2012 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  

I want to  thank everbody for all of the input and help with my system. This is one of the most helpful site that I have ever been on!!

bluegold

misterjimbo 
Silver - Posts: 535
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2012 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
Mike M2 wrote:
The newer models don't come with a siren. The PRO9776C uses the cars horn. An alternative would be to spend nothing and connect the BLACK/ white off your unit to the horn wire of your truck.
That won't work. The output to the siren is a constant 12 and the horn requires a pulsed ground.
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2012 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
misterjimbo wrote:
Mike M2 wrote:
That won't work. The output to the siren is a constant 12 and the horn requires a pulsed ground.
The siren is WHITE/ Black and the Horn is BLACK/ White on the unit...
http://auto.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/smc_networks/pro9675ft4.html?idRes=365454
Brake Wire     white     +     brake switch or steering column
Parking Brake     lt. blue     -     parking brake switch
Horn Trigger     black     -     steering column
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic