icon

2002 nissan maxima, clifford 20.7x

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
manny0ne 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2012 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
Hello everyone! Let me start off by saying that this forum is pretty amazing and i'm just blown away by the wealth of information thats on here for us beginners to learn from!
I have a few noobish questions and concerns so please don't laugh too hard ;P
I purchased a factory refurbished Clifford 20.7x off of ebay and am getting ready to install this in my 2002 Nissan Maxima automatic.
I've installed plenty of aftermarket radios, speakers, amps and subs before without fail.. however this is my first alarm / remote start so i'm just trying to get my facts straight and what components I'd need (if any) besides the alarm, immobilizer (which will be purchased tommorrow), and necessary connectors. Also, I've come across some conflicting information with regards to using diodes for the door locks.. one forum was saying it was necessary and another saying that it wasn't required. Can this be installed with what I have already or am I going to be in for any surprises?
Thanks so much in advance!
tony_g 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2012 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  

i generally use diodes on all my output wires to prevent a backsurge to the alarm/r.s brain that would potentially damage it. you should use them on the door locks as this will protect the same along with other connections.if you were to hit the lock button inside the vehicl it could potentially send a voltage pulse back down the connected wire to the brain and potentially blow its output and you would lose your lock/unlock output from the alarm brain. commonly used diodes are 1n4001 or 1n4004, also handy to use them on door trigger inputs if you choose to wire to individual door pins instead of domelight to prevent any possibility of false alarms from the cars main module going into a sleep mode which pulses the door pin wires and ends up causing a false alarm.

one common things with nissans is there are two starter wires which both have to be energized during the remote start cyle, with your alarm you should have outputs for 2nd ignition acc, start which output 200ma or so,these are for using with relays for such situations as above where you need to power more than one starter or ignition.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~6486

definately get a few automotive relays along with the diodes and some good quality electrical tape or heatshrink for your connections to keep it all tidy and reduce the possibility of any exposed connections.

but just remember to take time with a multimeter and test your wires for the ones you need to connect to.if you take your time with the wire finding and install it will come out looking nice and tidy

my viper 5701 was a refurb unit, i know i see people dont like them but it has been trouble free and reliable,if i wasnt on an extremely tight budget i could have spent out on a new one but this does as required. the only thing you have to be wary of is sometimes they can have the programming menus locked and need a bitwriter to unlock the menus,but i have only heard of that happening a handfull of times

tony_g 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2012 at 3:39 AM / IP Logged  

also forgot to mention dont use connectors or t-taps  on any wires solder everything.

ignition wires + up to 30A + t-taps =not good 2002 nissan maxima, clifford 20.7x - Last Post -- posted image.

manny0ne 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2012 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
Hi! I'm installing this remote start / alarm in my 2002 maxima and from what i'm reading the h2 harness is for additional modules and add-ons and was looking for some clarification as to whether i can disregard this whole bundle completely? any help is appreciated!
tony_g 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  

how many pins is your H2 harness, 7 or 18.

if its the older 7 pin harness then you dont have to use it unless you want to connect up things to the aux channels such as window modules ect or to use the 2nd unlock output for progressive unlocking.

if its the newer 18 pin harness then you will need to keep it as there are needed wires on there such as tach and additional low current outputs to drive relays for additional ign,acc and start outputs and aux channels to program for 2nd unlock if needed.

tony

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic