icon

Car Headlights, PWM

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jasonlipka 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2012 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, need some expertise here. I have a vehicle that has fancy new headlights, called "SmartBeam". Basically, it's an automatic high beam system. It worked really, really great before I started modding my vehicle. I installed HID's (high intensity discharge) lights. Each light is powered off its own fused +12V bosch relay.
Here's where the trouble began. Come to find out, the Smartbeam system doesn't just turn the high beams on and off. When it senses a car far off in the distance, it first begins dimming the high beams with PWM. When it dims them down to a nominal (and unknown) level, it shuts them off entirely. The problem is the PWM section. Obviously, my relays don't like this PWM at all. They are erratic on when they finally shut off and they make a terrible buzzing noise during the entire PWM cycle as they open and close a billion times a second.
I'd like to get rid of the PWM signal. There isn't a discrete wire in the car that I can pull off of thanks to the new CANBUS wiring system. I even tried the high beam indicator in the dash but it is a module. I have tried SSR's and they don't work. So I need some help. How do I do this?
I thought maybe a transistor as its saturation voltage is much lower than the pull in or hold in voltage of the relay coil. Would that work? I don't know how a transistor would respond to having a PWM signal applied to its base.
The other option is to filter it out with an R-C network right? Any ideas there?
Now for the bad news. I don't know the duty cycle, decay rate, or frequency of the PWM signal. I don't have an oscilloscope either. I have a DMM and am quite handy with it.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,672
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 06, 2012 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  

Parallel a 4700 microfarad 35 volt capacitor across the coil of the relay.   If that does not totally take care of the problem, place a 6 amp diode in series with the wire feeding the coil of the relay.

faja 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2012 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  
check your owner's manual or with the dealer, there should be a way to simply disable the "smartbeam" option.
jasonlipka 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2012 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

Parallel a 4700 microfarad 35 volt capacitor across the coil of the relay.   If that does not totally take care of the problem, place a 6 amp diode in series with the wire feeding the coil of the relay.

I will give that a try. Any chance I will need to play with capacitance value? I only ask because it would save me money to just buy a couple different capacitor values using your guidance now than to keep buying them through trial and error.
Also, for my edification, what purpose does the diode serve? Not doubting you, I am just really curious how the diode affects the circuit.
Thanks for your input.
faja wrote:
check your owner's manual or with the dealer, there should be a way to simply disable the "smartbeam" option.
I know how to disable them, they are currently disabled. What I am saying is that the system functioned perfectly in automatic mode before I swapped to HID's. The HID ballasts are powered through relays. The relays don't like the PWM. It can be avoided by just disabling the smartbeams, but they function so well in automatic that I'd like to try getting them to function with relays in the circuit.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2012 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
Remove the relays. Relays should not be PWM'd; only the lights. And since the Smartbeam is already supplying the power for the HIDs, the relays are unnecessary (unless BEFORE the Smartbeam).
The PWM should also be after the HID ballast depending on the ballast (some don't like the on-off PWM cycling) but it would have to be a grounding type (in case it can't handle the higher HID voltages).
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 12, 2012 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
I see no reason that the 4700 will not do what you are trying to do. But you can order a 1000, and a 2200 while you order. Try the 1000 by itself, if it does not do what you need, parallel the 2200 also. That will be 3200 total. If that still does not work then try the 4700. I am fairly confident that the 4700 along with the 6 amp diode will do the trick.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2012 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
In that case I'd be tempted to remove or bypass the Smartbeam system altogether since its PWM dimming will be defeated - only its automated switch-down to low beam (below 27kph etc) would remain.
Other sources also reckon the PWM causes havoc with HID ballast. (Though as I say, that depends on ballast design, though shorter life may ensue even if they do work.)
jasonlipka 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2012 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
In that case I'd be tempted to remove or bypass the Smartbeam system altogether since its PWM dimming will be defeated - only its automated switch-down to low beam (below 27kph etc) would remain.
Other sources also reckon the PWM causes havoc with HID ballast. (Though as I say, that depends on ballast design, though shorter life may ensue even if they do work.)
I tried hooking the ballasts directly to the high beams and the lights still flcker. The PWM must be removed from the circuit.
jasonlipka 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2012 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
I see no reason that the 4700 will not do what you are trying to do. But you can order a 1000, and a 2200 while you order. Try the 1000 by itself, if it does not do what you need, parallel the 2200 also. That will be 3200 total. If that still does not work then try the 4700. I am fairly confident that the 4700 along with the 6 amp diode will do the trick.
Okay, I have them on order. Not gonna be here until next week.
I ask again, what purpose does the diode serve?
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 13, 2012 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
For the times that the PWM is at 0, the diode keeps the cap from trying to keep that voltage up. It will use all of it's capacitance to keep the relay energized.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic