icon

Subwoofer Box Depth

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soybeanstorm 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2003 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, this one's been confusing me for awhile now so I thought I'd just throw it out there for discussion.  On subwoofer box designs, calculators and woofer specs will often give you the optimal box size in cubic feet, but not specify the optimal dimension (except that golden ratio thing I've seen somewhere).  So, my question is:

Given the optimal box volume, what is the optimal box dimension?  i.e.  Can I have the depth of the box just deep enough to house the woofer (+ a couple inch slack) and put the rest of the volume in the length and width of the box?   (ie Thin and long box)..  or does it perform better in a more square-like box?

Anybody have any experience with this?

ergoaudio 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2003 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
in my experience... it doesn't matter.  airspace is airspace.  as long as the driver has enough of it it will perform the way it was designed to, assuming we are talking a sealed enclosure.  if it is any other type of enclosure the variables will change.
If your ears aren't bleeding... it's not loud enough.
JellyNutz 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2003 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
The box will perfom great just as long as you brace it properly to avoid panel resonances...
Jesse
Joseph's Car Everything
special137 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2003 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  

Use the golden ratio or one very close to it to get the dimensions you need.  This will result in smaller resonant peaks and spreads it over the frequency spectrum.  This results in a cleaner more accurate sound. 

This ratio will result in more of a rectangular box.  You can play with the dimensions a bit to suit your needs, but definatly use it as a guideline!!!

While airspace is airspace and dimension doesn't matter for this, certain shapes will reflect resonant waves through your woofer cone and result in "noise".  If you are looking for better, cleaner sound, go with this ratio!!!

alienated 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2003 at 1:42 AM / IP Logged  
i've actually read that the "optimal" distance from the magnet to the back of the box should around 5-6 inches. I haven't got to hear the difference for myself, but my 12 kcomp has 6 inches and it "hits" harder than normal sealed boxes. might wanna give it a try.
soybeanstorm 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2003 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  

Has anybody tried this?  (scientifically?)  I think most of the time, we decide on box dimensions, build it, and if it sounds ok, we leave it alone. (instead of building multiple boxes, messing around with extreme dimensions,  to see which one sounds better.. maybe woofer manufacturers do this?)  It would be interesting to see some lab results..

I would do it myself, but that's alot of MDF to burn, not to mention time..

alienated 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2003 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
I was going to build my own speaker box again this time around, but i bought one instead because i have a cool idea for a fake floor in my car.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2003 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
I have experimented and have not noticed any change in sound due to the shape. The only time I have been able to hear a difference is when I changed the volume. So in my (unscientific) study the shape did not matter.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic