icon

human crimpable harness connectors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tremelune 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2012 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
I'm looking for a good connector that can join ~8 wires, ~16 AWG, for ~15A. It'll be inside a car. From research, it looks like something from Molex would be the way to go, but the choices are numerous, and incompatible. It looks like whatever type I go with, I'd need to buy a dedicated crimper (possibly hundreds of dollars) and removal tool. My hope is to buy the most "universal" or "versatile"...Effectively, the one I would see most often when messing with wires in vehicles (and to a lesser extent, computers). Some contenders:
Mini-Fit Jr
9A-13A, no mention of wire gauge (might depend on terminals??). This is the connector used in most computer PSUs and motherboard power connectors. That's a plus, because I've seen them before, but they don't seem compatible with other Mini-Fit connectors. This would cover a lot of bases in vehicles, I would assume. The only crimper I saw for sale was $240. Sheesh.
Mini-Fit Sr
50A, 8 AWG. This thing is beastly, but is probably overkill for pretty much everything except making a quick disconnect for a serious amplifier. I can't imagine its compatible with other Mini-Fit connectors...
MLX
12A, 20A (apparently). 10-20 AWG. It covers all the gauges and currents I'm likely to use (even if it would often be overkill), but I haven't been able to uncover where else it might be used. The only connectors of this type I'm likely to see are ones I install. I don't want to start wiring things up with uncommon connectors in case someone else needs to deal with them.
Standard 0.093"
14A max (in certain situations), 14-30 AWG. "Industry standard" something. I've heard of it before, but it was on a pinball repair site. Not really sure where else it is used.
It's extremely difficult to find information on these connectors outside of a spec sheet or the Molex web site. Should I just assume that every vehicle manufacturer has their own incompatible group of highly specialized connector and give up on trying to find the most "common"? Mini-Fit Jr and MLX are available from Waytek, which makes life a bit simpler.
...Anybody have a favorite?
tremelune 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2012 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
From all kinds of random googling, it looks like the following male/female terminals are interchangeable:
- Molex 8981 (computer PSU connectors)
- Molex 0.82"/2.13mm (MLX)
- Tycho Mate-N-Lok (No idea)
If I can confirm, that'd be the way to go.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 29, 2012 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
If you solder the connections, you do not need an expensive crimper. Crimp them the best you can and solder them. If you are wanting 15 amps of current capacity per pin, you will need a much larger connector.
tremelune 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2012 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
The debate rages about crimping vs soldering in automotive environments. I'm unwilling to try and solder wires inside my dash, so the choice is clear for me.
15A is probably overkill, but hey, nice to have if it's somewhat common. I was mainly basing that rating on the fuse size for your average head unit. I don't think any of them are getting power over a wire thicker than 16 AWG anyway.
The MLX fits my purpose well, and even if I'm the one buying the only connectors I ever see, I can see it being useful for various automotive wiring projects (of which I find myself immersed in many).
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
These different connectors completely confuse me!
Yes nearly all the motor manufacturers use slightly different terminals.
Other manufacturers, AMP-Tycho, Kramm in Denmark.
Those two with Molex are the leading manufacturers of automotive connectors.
As for crimping, I'm entirely in agreement with Mr. I here.
I've got a dedicated RG (from Mini UHF to Fakra) a French (sorry) Facom compound crimp and a general purpose for insulated and uninsulated similar to the old-school AMP Champ. That third unit with some judicious soldering does the trick.
And depending how you set up whatever your doing, why not check out cable lengths beforehand and do your soldering on the bench?
Think out of the box.
Also look for AMP Econoseal or AMP Superseal you will see the last on critical joints such feed for the AC compressors, to IP67 ratings 20-15AWG and wait for it, £180/$270 for the tool (which I've never used).

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic