icon

head unit turn off and on be self

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eckoblaze72 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2003 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
my head unit is a new jvc. i wired alot of stereos before but none has ever done this. my car doesnt have a wire harness connector. so i had to wire it right to the base wires. my radio comes on only if it turn the car fully on. then after a few mins it cut off saying goodbye like a sec later it says hello and it resume playing right away.. wha would make the radio do this.. its not losing memory. and the ground it good i think .. which wire should i check??? neeeedd helpp driving me crazy
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2003 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  
I would get a voltage meter and attach it to the constant and ground, and monitor the voltage when the unit cuts in and out. If the voltage stays constant then you know there is a problem with he head unit, if it doesn’t then you know the problem is in the wiring. But to me it sounds like you need to double check your wiring. But any way post your results.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2003 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
If you still can't figure out the wiring, go to a junkyard. Find the same make/model of your car and get the OEM radio harness (they should only charge you a few $'s for the plug and about 1" of the OEM wires going into it). You want the plug from the vehicle side, not the one from the headunit. Rewire that harness back into into your car, then get a METRA integration harness. As long as your crimps are solid, you should resolve any wiring problems. As far as the headunit goes, if you can't get what you need from the volt meter, then pull the headunit completely out. Run a temporary wire from the battery to the constant 12v and the switched 12v on the headunit. Run your temporary ground as well. If the headunit still does the same thing you described, then it's more than likely a problem with the unit itself. If it functions normally being connected directly to the battery, then the problem was with the wiring.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2003 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged  

Double check the ground

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
eckoblaze72 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2003 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  
i double checked the ground and the wiring and goign to run a direct wire from the battery and the find a subit- for the ground .. but where do i run the (sub) for the switched power +12
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Posted: May 13, 2003 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  

Make sure you run a fused wire (20A should be enough) to the battery, not an unfused one.  Just out of curiosity, what year/make/model car is this?  And what do you mean when you say "subit-"?

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2003 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like the problem is with the switch 12V+ lead you have connected to the radio. You said you have it wired so the key has to be in the run position to come on. Have you measured voltage on the switched 12V+ lead you have connected to the radio while it's doing this? It really doesn't sound like a ground or constant 12V+ problem because the unit indicates it is turning off and on as if you turned the key off and on. 
head unit turn off and on be self -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
eckoblaze72 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  
i tried to check the switched power but it shows up good.. and it dropps randomly so i cant actually create the problem to test. i thought it was my switched power b/c it doesnt loose the memory when it turns off it just say hello ad goodbye like i turned it off.. it was really freaked my cuzin out he thought i had a ghost in the car.. lol anyway. where can i run a temp switched wire from to see if it's that? i have a clock on my dash i was going to use that since the lcd burned out. but i dont know what wire is what. i'll run all the wire from it if i have too??
please help me out
thanks in advance
eckoblaze72 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  
my bad i have a 93 acura integra 3dr
cavyman 
Copper - Posts: 88
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
It does sound like your turn on lead(switched power).  If it was the constant, it would lose whatever it had in the memory.  I would maybe try to tap into the clock.  To find the right wire, you will need to test the wires.  First test them with the car off and then with the car on.  The one that only comes on when the car is running, will be your turn-on lead.  I am not a certified installer, but I ran into a similar problem with my first install and I needed to test wires to get the right turn-on lead.  I got my head unit up and running.  So if anyone reads this and dissagrees, please post a reply.
1 plus 1 equals 2
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic