icon

aftermarket or factory alarm?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
radyogyrl 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2012 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the ignition switch. I have also tested the ignition relays.I did that by removing them and putting 12v from the battery to them via test leads. I will test the accessory relay. Should I leave them in and turn the switch and check them that way also?
Always willing to learn something new.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2012 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, because that will tell you if they are getting a signal to activate them or not.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
radyogyrl 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2012 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I will put that on my to-do list for tomorrow.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2012 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  
Back to basics and forget the ignition for a second, hoping I haven't lost the plot but have we heard the starter turning over?
Any one thought of testing at the starter motor?
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2012 at 5:58 AM / IP Logged  
My understanding is that there is nothing at all going tot he starter but I could be wrong. The fuel pump turning on is an indication that the ignition is turning on though.... and the dash light issue may be unrelated to the vehicle not starting. But howie does have a good point with one more thing to add to your to do list... but it will require an extra hand. Find the starter solenoid (most likely connected to the starter) and find the small wire going to it. Put your meter on that wire (ground onto the chassis) and see if you are getting any voltage when turning the key over. Also check the main heavy gauge wire going to the starter to make sure that has constant power.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
radyogyrl 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2012 at 6:02 AM / IP Logged  
Howie, I can not hear the starter turning over. There is absolutely nothing when I turn the key to the start position (well, except for the fuel pump).
When the problem first occurred, my stepdad took the starter loose and tested it at the battery afterall, he had just put a new one on a few days prior to this debacle. The bendix was coming out and spinning, but when it was mounted back on the truck, it would do nothing.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,671
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 28, 2012 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  
Since the starter was changed a few days prior, have you looked in the area of the starter to see if the fusible link may be broken or was not reattached properly when the starter was changed?
radyogyrl 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2012 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  
No, I haven't looked to see if the fusible link is broken or attached properly. I will check on that.
radyogyrl 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2012 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
Kenny, I have checked the relays you told me to check, and I can feel both of the ignition relays and the accessory relay contact points open and close. I will have to wait until my friend comes over to check the starter wires.
radyogyrl 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2012 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
So, I checked the voltage of the positive wire going from the battery to the starter, and it was showing 12.3V. Guys, I totally forgot to mention that when I first got the truck from my brother, I couldn't start it unless it was in neutral. Could the inhibitor switch (neutral safety switch) be causing this issue? I'm sorry that I forgot to mention it earlier. I was really thinking that it was the alarm.
Page of 10

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic