icon

2012 vw passat

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
brsexton 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2012 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
Hello all. I have a 12 Passat(standard key) that I want to install remote start in. I have the wiring diagram thanks to user: tommy... I have done a few remote starters in the past, but those cars did not have an immobilizer. I can't seem to find the perfect combo bypass and remote start for this car. I have read that I will have to give up a key which is fine, but I would like a decent CAN-BUS module that will do most of the functions with the least amount of cutting wires. Can any of you give me any information or suggestions on these VW's?
dasbogie 
Silver - Posts: 514
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2012 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  
Although I haven't done a newer passat, I recently installed an avital 4111, DBALL, and 556u in a 2012 tiguan.  The customer asked that I not interface with the parking lights so I did not do that.  The DBALL took care of all of my convenience, like hoodpin, tach, doorlocks, disarm.   Everything worked out real well.   That car is actually really easy with a data module and not having to run wires into doors and under the hood.
Advanced
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
I recently did a 2008 Passat with the special key (push key to start) and it was pretty easy with the data module. I did however have to wrap the key about 10-15 wraps for the immobilizer bypass. The install instructions only said 5-6 but that wasn't working.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
brsexton 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2012 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
Thank both of you for the information. Do you know of any site that sells the remote start and the DBALL that will program it for my vehicle? Like I said, I can do the install myself, but I don't have the equipment to flash for the correct software. I have been looking the Avital 4111 as well because I like the single button remote since the OEM VW key has the keyless entry built in. It just looks like a dealer has to program it.
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2012 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
The 4111 only comes with 1 remote... The 4113 comes with 2... Just a heads-up. If you start the car with the key, does your factory key-less entry still Lock/Unlock?
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
offroadzj 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2012 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
I personally wouldn't go with the DB-All. I used to use them all the time and the failure rate was astronomical. I've since switch to iDatalink and will probably never go back. You can actually buy the ADS-DLSL CA2 and it should be pre-programmed.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
brsexton 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2012 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  
tommy... wrote:
The 4111 only comes with 1 remote... The 4113 comes with 2... Just a heads-up. If you start the car with the key, does your factory key-less entry still Lock/Unlock?
tommy... the OEM keyless entry does not function if the car is running. So I will need the RS remote to be able to unlock. I have looked at the Avital 4113LX and I think it looks like what I need.
offroadzj - I have also looked at several different bypass modules and it looks like Fortin and Xpresskit are the only 2 that have firmware for the 2012 Passat with standard key. Idatalink has firmware, but only for the push to start 2012 Passat. So going with the Xpresskit is a bad idea? Again, I really appreciate the help with this.
dasbogie 
Silver - Posts: 514
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2012 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with what Kenny said about the DBALL having a fairly high failure rate the first year or so of release but lately they have been performing well for me.  I had a few when they were first released that just wouldnt do what they said they were going to do.  Little by little I've been trying them and they have been holding up.  In the Tiguan I did I also ran it D2D between the avital 4111 and the DBALL.  D2D between the two netted me, doorlocks, hoodpin, brake status, disarm, status out, ignition sense.  I know the D2D is another debate as well but it has come along way just like the dball.  Just an example.  Yesterday I installed a 4111 and a dball in an 09 galant.  DBall said d2d it would give me brake status.  Installed both pieces in the vehicle, went d2d between the 2 and did not get brake status.  I left both brake wires from each module long enough so I just w2w in the vehicle and still worked just fine.  I too am a huge fan of Idatalink/flashlogic products like the ads al ca or the flcan and the blade modules..  The don't give me any trouble and the guides are well written.  I would use them anytime. 
Advanced
brsexton 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2012 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  
Since Idatalink doesn't have the firmware for my car, would you guys think that the Fortin would be the best choice for ease of use/install?
offroadzj 
Posted: October 01, 2012 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  
I just did a quick search on idatalink and the ADS-DLSL CA2 is a pre-programmed module for a 2012 VW Passat...
https://idatalink.com/search/search?vehicle_make_id=42&vehicle_year_id=2012&vehicle_model_id=280&vehicle_id=7846
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic