icon

kicker kx 800.4 no sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
scutzi128 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2012 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
Hi I have been using this amp for about a year now and I really like it but a few weeks ago while I was driving listening to some tunes my speakers cut out and only my sub was still playing. I figured it was my remote wire but upon further inspection that was not the problem so I took it apart to take a look at what was going on inside.
However once I got it apart there was no visual evidence or smell inside the amp. It powers up, protection light goes out but no sound comes out of either the front or rear side of the amp. Here is a video I took of it starting up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGFkzkLGKDk&feature=youtu.be
Any suggestions what to look/test for? Thanks.
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2012 at 8:54 AM / IP Logged  
Do you have a Factory or After-Market radio? Did you actually put a meter on the wires to check for +/-(How did you verify the Remote lead is good)? If you dont have the proper tools, you could swap out the amp and see if sound resumes. Though, you may end up with the same results.
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
krush 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2012 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
from the vid, your amp checks OK.
the problem is in your car.
1) check the voltage on the pos, neg and remote.
2) if that check ok, connection one at a time and wait a few minute to see if the protection led pops on. connect the neg and remote one at a time.
3) after that connect the RCA 1 channel at a time and wait to see if the led pops on. ( this is to check for a short in the rca cable.
4) do the same with the speak wires one set at a time ( this will test the speaker wire for a short.
you should be able to get to the bottom of the problem.
your amp also will go into protection for shorts in the RCA and speaker wires. Speakers can get wet in the door and may have a short on them or a lose end touching the the metal.
The best tool in my work shop, is my BRAIN!!!!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 29, 2012 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  
Do not spend a lot of time looking for shorted RCA cables.
scutzi128 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2012 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
krush wrote:
1) check the voltage on the pos, neg and remote.
2) if that check ok, connection one at a time and wait a few minute to see if the protection led pops on. connect the neg and remote one at a time.
3) after that connect the RCA 1 channel at a time and wait to see if the led pops on. ( this is to check for a short in the rca cable.
4) do the same with the speak wires one set at a time ( this will test the speaker wire for a short.
Thanks for all the replies thus far.
1) All check out okay
2)Nope protection light always goes out
3) connected all 4 rcas one at a time and still no sound and protection light was off
4) connected all 8 speaker wires one at a time and still no sound and protection light was off
I guess I should mention when the amp is first powered up it it makes a slight crackle noise in all the speakers then goes silent.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic