icon

Bitwriter for Viper 5701

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
morgiee 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2013 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  
Hi i have just installed the viper 5701 to my vehicle and so far i am impressed. However i need some fine tuning done to it e.g. change from virtual tach to tachometer but i cant get my head around how to do this using the valet button. A friend recommended a bit-writer as it is meant to be easy to programme the system and less of a headache. When reading through the installation manual it states you need a 998u or newer to program the system. The only ones i can find is the 998t which must be the model before, but if i put the upgrade chip into it will it see and programme the 5701?
Thanks guys
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,791
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2013 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  

It might already have the Ver 2.7 chip in it.

The basic DEIU BitWriter is called a 998T.  Not sure why.  The 998U upgrade chip is Ver 2.7, howerver there

is a newer upgrade chip bringing it to Ver 2.9.  When you first turn on the BitWriter it will display the current
version.

I have a DEI 998T with the Ver 2.9 chip and it can program the newer DEI units ( Ver 2.7 is minmum required ).

Soldering is fun!
morgiee 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2013 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
Ah cool so if i buy any DEI bit writer but as long as it has the latest chip in it, in this case 2.9 then i can programme any viper alarm that supports a bitwriter up to the latest ones out? if so how do you upgrade the chip?
Thanks again
flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2013 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
Actually viper alarms up to current only need 2.7 The 2.9 was only an upgrade for the new Automate Brand by DEI. So for viper alarms there would be no benefit, but of course I would always try to get the latest anyway...
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2013 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  

The chip upgrade is just an 8 prong IC chip that gets replaced in the BitWriter.

Bitwriter for Viper 5701 -- posted image.

Soldering is fun!
clayton1985 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2013 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
This answered one of my questions as well. I ordered a 998T as well, comes with 2.7.   Then I saw in manual 998U and I thought ******!
kreg357 
Posted: January 10, 2013 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
The Ver 2.9 upgrade chip is only $15 and you won't need it on Viper units ( yet ).
Soldering is fun!
morgiee 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2013 at 3:36 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks alot for all your help, so i can but any bitwriter which the only ones can find is the 998t but ensure it has the 2.7 chi[ in it and im good to go?
Sweet, just another question wile im here, the alarm has has two options for a trunk release, this would be really handy as i now have a trunk popper installed. However mine is wired differently as were on the standard install for this it would go:
fused 12v feed - switch - from switch to motor
The bit I've released is the switch bit as i removed my rear wiper motor as it was no longer needed, so took the advantage of using the same feed for the rear wiper to pop the trunk. So now when i flick the same switch off the steering wheel column it pops the boot and then when i turn it back it resets the motor.
The alarm has two parts relating to the trunk release a:
250ma trunk release output
(-) TRUNK PIN/ INSTANT TRIGGER INPUT
How do i wire this up to a relay so that i can control the trunk form my new viper remote?
also the boot release wire is a (+) feed
morgiee 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2013 at 2:14 AM / IP Logged  
Bump, is anyone able to help with this last issue for me?
Thanks
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2013 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  

You will want to use the 250mA(-)  trunk release output with a relay. The relay section of this site has diagrams of many type of relay setups:  https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram8.html   You will converting a (-) to a (+)

The (-) trunk pin/instant trigger wire is for tripping the alarm

When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic