icon

which set of speakers should i go for?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
deeryders 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2013 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2009 Altima Sedan and have installed 6 Whip Audio interior speakers. Recently about 3 of the Whips blew (surprise surprise). I have narrowed down my options to the following speakers that fit my budget and sound pretty nice. I need them for Mids and Highs, No bass 9(I got 2 w7s for that) just something loud and clear. I am hooking them up to a 4 Channel 100w x 4.
Kenwood KFC-1694PS 3 Way 70W RMS
Alpine Type S SPS-610 80W RMS
Polk DXI-650 70W RMS
Infinti ref-6502IX 60W RMS
I was leaning towards the Alpines Type S because I always loved them and they have the most power handling. However, a lot of people are telling me to go with the infintis. I heard the Kenwoods and they sound very very nice and now I am more in favor for those, however it scares me that they are so cheap. The Polks are nice as well. Can someone help me make a decision. Thanks.
MECP Certified
Dont Ground Out!!!
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2013 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  
out of those choices i would lean more towards the polks, but that is my personal preference. the reasons being, the alpines that i have heard lately sound pretty nice but they are not that loud and the tweeter isnt bright enough to keep up with a lot of bass. my friends car would drown them out with a single 12.
the infinity's are the exact opposite, they are extremely bright. they have a lot of tweeter, especially the 3-way 6x9's. they dont sound bad but they tend to hurt my ears without an EQ to tone them down.
the kenwoods i have never heard but as you said, i would be worried about the price. not saying they are garbage but you usually get what you paid for in the car audio world.
the polk speakers usually have a good balance of loud and clean. they arent the loudest or the brightest but ive always been a fan of polk as a good entry level speaker.
but, take my advice with a grain of salt because its really about what you want to hear in your own car.
deeryders 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2013 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the reply. I guess I will lean more towards the Polks. I am not going components, they all are 2 way 6.5 speakers except the kenwoods are 3 ways. Maybe thats why they sound so good.
MECP Certified
Dont Ground Out!!!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2013 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
Trust your ears. Get whatever sounds best to you.
Support the12volt.com
deeryders 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2013 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
The Kenwoods did tho. My amp Is pushing 125 watts rms per channel. How ever the last pair of speakers are bridge on either channel so idk what the numbers crunch down to. The Kenwoods have 70wat rms handling and the alpines have 80w rms the Polk and infinti have only 60w rms.obviously the amp won't be turned up but my main battle is between these. Ill do one last test I guess before making my decision. The Kenwood and Pioneer are the only 3 ways I can get my hands on tho the Kenwood sound nice I think I would have to pass
MECP Certified
Dont Ground Out!!!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2013 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
Don't worry about the power ratings. The difference is insignificant.
What's the amp?
Support the12volt.com
deeryders 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2013 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
Logic sound lab DBX1004 www.logicsoundlab.com/DBX1004.html
MECP Certified
Dont Ground Out!!!
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2013 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
try not to get caught up with the whole 2-way, 3-way battle because neither is automatically better than the other and a lot of times a 3 way speaker will sound worse because each component is of lower quality than the same speaker in a 2-way version, the amount of speakers doesnt matter, just the quality.
i remember one of the dumbest speakers ive ever had to listen to was a off-brand 9-way 6x9, it looked ridiculous and sounded even worse.
fuster 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2013 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
That is a lot of power pushing satellite speakers. That's a cheap amp, so I assume it is a Class D.   In any event, in my opinion there are few if any speakers in that size that are sold in the mainstream retail world today that can truly handle a REAL 100-125 watts RMS continuously.
I am running Polk Audio coaxials in my truck from a Zapco AG 360, which is conservatively rated at a mere 25 watts per channel, and if driven too loudly, the Polks distort noticeably. Prior to those I was running Rockford Fosgates and they were rated at 80-120 watts, and they distorted being driven by a U.S. made Soundstream Reference 405s (rated 40 wrms/ch) if the volume were really cranked. On the other hand, driving a set of U.S. made A/D/S components (long gone from the retail market) with a higher powered U.S. made Soundstream amplifier does not produce any bad noise.    
Bearing these things in mind, the best thing is to do what DYohn suggests, which is to trust your ears.
Chronic, late stage optimist.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: February 19, 2013 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
hearing distortion from a speaker is usually not wattage related, its signal related, also known as improperly set gains or a badly set EQ or just plain cheap speakers. power isnt relative to distortion, even a basic radio can make a speaker distort.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic