icon

How do u install car amplifier at home?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
unkool 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2003 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  

I was given a car amplifier but i only wanted to use it at home, and i can't turn it on apparently.

I've attempted to turn it on using a transformer of DC12v.

I connected the positive terminal of the transformer into the "12+" terminal on the amplifier.

Then, i connected the negative terminal of the transformer into the remote terminal on the amplifier. The ground is already connected to a metal surface.

The amplifier's power LED did not light up, however, the protect light on the amplifier turned on.

can anybody help me turn this amplifier on for use at home? your help would be well appreciated.

BumpNGlow 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2003 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  

don't forget about the remote wire.  It'll turn the amp on. 

My only thought is, can that transformer supply enough power to your amplifier?  Most power supplies that can are very very expensive.  I think what most ppl end up doing if they want to get an car amp in their house is get an old/or new dry cell, marine style battery and hook up a battery charger to it on trickle charge (or you could use your 12v transformer as the charger).  You could build a ventilated cabinet, etc. to house the amp and battery and truely you can make it look very nice still.

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2003 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
unkool wrote:

...Then, i connected the negative terminal of the transformer into the remote terminal on the amplifier. The ground is already connected to a metal surface....

The remote turn on lead must see 12V+ for the amplifier to turn on, not ground.

How do u install car amplifier at home? -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
MielGibson 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2003 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
The adapter that you need depends on how many amps the amplifier needs, plus some 10% overhead. If you use a battery charger, make sure its output is filtered DC
unkool 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2003 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
BumpNGlow wrote:

don't forget about the remote wire.  It'll turn the amp on. 

My only thought is, can that transformer supply enough power to your amplifier?  Most power supplies that can are very very expensive.  I think what most ppl end up doing if they want to get an car amp in their house is get an old/or new dry cell, marine style battery and hook up a battery charger to it on trickle charge (or you could use your 12v transformer as the charger).  You could build a ventilated cabinet, etc. to house the amp and battery and truely you can make it look very nice still.

wouldn't the amp need a 12- charge to keep the circuit going?

pinchy 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2003 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  

Wow, the battery idea sounds messy.  I'm a neat freak so my suggestion would be to get a 12 volt power supply from a cheap distributor, like jameco.com.  You can get a 150W, 12V DC output, 120V AC input for about $60.  Connect a few in series to get enough power or look to see if they have a bigger supply.

unkool 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2003 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
the12volt wrote:
unkool wrote:

...Then, i connected the negative terminal of the transformer into the remote terminal on the amplifier. The ground is already connected to a metal surface....

The remote turn on lead must see 12V+ for the amplifier to turn on, not ground.

so I put 12V+ into the "12+" and "Remote"? what about the ground? thanks

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2003 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
The amplifier ground goes to the negative output of your 12V power supply.
How do u install car amplifier at home? -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
unkool 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2003 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
pinchy wrote:

Wow, the battery idea sounds messy.  I'm a neat freak so my suggestion would be to get a 12 volt power supply from a cheap distributor, like jameco.com.  You can get a 150W, 12V DC output, 120V AC input for about $60.  Connect a few in series to get enough power or look to see if they have a bigger supply.

In our country we use 220-240v AC. I'll need quite alot of those to power my 1000W one wouldn't I?

I think it will cost plenty if i buy this much transformers. What i think at the moment is that I might need a transformer that will provide at least 40amps as my amplifier has a 40amp fuse plugged into it. According to another replier, i will need a 10% overhead, which makes it 44amps minimum.

unkool 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2003 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, forgot to add more information, my amplifier is a 4 channel 1000W one, and it uses a 40A fuse on the amplifier itself, and another 40A one on the cable. What do you suggest?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic