icon

viper 5904 and old ford door trigger/dome

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
felixdkat 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2013 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  
The older fords (1972 ranchero in this case) have a positive door lock trigger.
my question is does the alarm "know" when it has activated the courtesy light and thereby energized the door trigger input? Or must they be diode isolated as shown in the diagram? and if diodes are required can a 1 amp diode be used is a circuit protected with a 5 or ten amp fuse?
thanks in advance for any output...
viper 5904 and old ford door trigger/dome -- posted image.
***********************************************************************************
or
:->
felixdkat 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2013 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
oops.... forgot the relay on the simple diode free version....
here it is....
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2013 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
felixdkat wrote:
The older fords (1972 ranchero in this case) have a positive door lock trigger.
my question is does the alarm "know" when it has activated the courtesy light and thereby energized the door trigger input? Or must they be diode isolated as shown in the diagram? and if diodes are required can a 1 amp diode be used is a circuit protected with a 5 or ten amp fuse?
thanks in advance for any output...
***********************************************************************************
or
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
Your first line is extremely confusing.
Are you referring to doors being opened and triggering the alarm or door lock relay triggers to lock and unlock?
Now we've cleared up that basic error, surely all the door (open) triggers are common, thus your last diagram but one is correct.
felixdkat 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2013 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
doors being opened and triggering the alarm
i tried to draw the switch on the doors that activate the dome light when a door is opened. my concern was if when arming the alarm if it would be a problem if you had just disarmed it and the alarm was still keeping the dome light on. i thought that the alarm might think the doors were not closed yet.
is the alarm be smart enough to turn off the courtesy light automatically if you disarmed and immediately rearmed ? if so i guess no diodes would be required.
--ps thanks to howie who always responds so quickly!
felixdkat 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2013 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
last few wires to go and not sure what is going on with the neutral safety switch on a viper 5904.
out of the box there is an "on/off" switch with two wires and a connector that plugs directly into the neutral safety plug on the 5904 unit. the manual says that this must be "plugged in and on the on position."
there is also a wire - H2/2 (-) Neutral Safety Input
do you need to connect both?
if so then :
does the H2/2 (-) Neutral Safety Input go to the parking brake ground switch
and the
two wire plug attach to the main unit as shipped?
if you don't need both:
can you cut one side of the two wire factory supplied neutral safety switch and run it to the parking brake ground switch?
and disregard H2/2?
or is there another scenario that i am missing?
thanks
fdk
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2013 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
The alarm only turns on the domelight on DISARM.
I can't see the point of that switch, either use it or do what I do which is either to cut off the switch and join the ends, or flash some solder across the switch terminals.
DON'T ground it.
As for the other H2/2 wire, the alarm-R/S HAS to see a ground on that wire to enable R/S.
On manuals handbrake switch, on autos, grounded or connect to the reverse wire feed. Makes a good anti-theft back-up, villain gets into vehicle, shoves gearshift from park to drive and it cuts out as soon as it sees POS voltage on that wire.
BTW a 1972 vehicle.
Unless it starts on a winter's morning by simply turning the key without having to pump the the throttle, forget R/S.
felixdkat 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2013 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
thanks again for the reply Howie-
i think you have cleared up any questions i had about the remaining wires...
i agree with you on most 72 vehicles. the carburetors on the older models almost all need a pump or two before they will fire up. (especially in the cold). i live in sunny california and the engine is tweaked a bit so it fires off pretty good, but i am really putting it in more because it was there rather than because i "needed" it.
the truth is with the older cars one wire to the coil and a jumper cable to the starter and away they went. anti-theft works way better in newer cars because of the ecu that most rely on.
the best thing about an alarm for my year car, imho, is the door locks are now remote controlled. ;>
the on/off switch might be there mostly to avoid DEI liability from remote start accidents ( who knows )....
again, thanks for taking the time to help me figure out all of this stuff- i really do appreciate it!
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2013 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
I'm glad you were aware of what I was getting at ref non-injected cars.
In fact all your points are valid and I agree with you whole heartedly, except "sunny" WTH is that? We are still in the worst winter for 50 years, the outside temp. rose from 36f to 42 today.
felixdkat 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2013 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  
yeah, i knew what you meant about carb,
you sound like you might have grown up around the older cars? if so, that might explain your knowledge here as it would mean you have been doing this awhile ;>
as far as winter weather, ouch...
here is what our temp was for the last month:
Max Avg    Min
Max Temperature     82 °F     69 °F     54 °F
Mean Temperature     67 °F     57 °F     49 °F
Min Temperature     52 °F     45 °F     37 °F
san luis obispo, CA has some of the best weather in the country....
cheers,
and thanks again for all of your help...!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic