Sony XLS101P5 subwoofers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
**Darren** 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2003 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  

Hey everyone

I am in the process of trying to put together a system for my new car and i was wondering what you guys think of these pentagonal sub-woofers. I am thinking of including two of these 10'' subs in conjunction with sony's CDX-CA700X deck and a couple sony 6x9's and an amp(not sure what to get?)

thanks in advance for all your help

Darren

**Darren** 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2003 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  

Hey everyone again.

I'll try to be more specific as I really need to get some questions answered. I just got my first car, a 1989 Chevy Cavalier RS and I want to put a nice system in it. I've decided to get the Sony CDX-CA700X  deck it has two pairs of pre-outs , the pre-out voltage is 2 V and it has 54 Wx 4 max power. I'm seriously considering getting a pair of Sony XSL-101P5 10'' subs.They are the octagonal subs, the impedance is 4Ohms, the nominal power handling is 300W, the frequency response is 18-2,500 Hz, and the power range is 40-300W RMS. Basically what I want to know is if this is a good combination and what kind of amp I would need if i used this deck and subwoofers together with a pair of Sony 6x9's.

Sorry about the long post. I have never done this before and I am not close to any store to go a discuss this with anyone person to person.

Thanx Darren

luxuryrules 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2003 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  

I haven't heard any complaints about the Sony equipment you're looking at, and it certainly seems like a pretty good combination.  Starting with speakers, do you plan on replacing all of your speakers or just the 6x9's?  And for that matter, are you planning on using the amp to push your 6x9's?

Since you're theming everything else with Sony, might as well go for a Sony amp as well.  Looking at the website, I'm only seeing one and two channel amps.  If you want to amplify the 6x9's you'll be looking at a second amp.  In the meantime, the 2165gtx looks the most promising.  Those subs can handle a lot of power, and it looks like that is the only one that can come close.  Just remember, don't look at the peak numbers.  Try to find an amp that's 300w rms at 4 ohms for 2 channels.  That one I just mentioned is only 165w, but that's the highest 2 channel they have.
If you don't mind getting other than sony for the amp, then I would start a new thread, tell people what cd player and subs you have, and ask for advice from there.  I personally would look at a Lanzar Vibe 230 or 240.
Good luck.

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2003 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  
I would stay away from Sony when it comes to car audio, and I think there are plenty of members out there that would agree with me. There stuff dose not sound that great and it’s not known for reliability. Your better off saving your money and investing in another name brand.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  
Sony will get you by in a pinch. Their headunits are functional, but have flaws (for example... they are renoun for skipping at excessive SPL levels). At less than 300 watts though you should be okay (but remember, Sony is by no means the best). Have you looked at any other brands? How much are you wanting to spend?
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
**Darren** 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  

Hey

If sony is not the best what do you guys reccomend for a first time buyer. I'm looking to spend about $600-1000 total(at least $250-300 on a headunit to start). I've heard pioneer is'nt bad and I've been kinda looking at Blaupunkt but they are kind of expensive. I'm trying to get the best possible system for the money i have got to spend.

thanks for all your help Darren

Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
This website has a Pioneer 7400 head unit for $220. It's an excellent intermediate HU that has some great features for someone interested in installing a moderately advanced system. I would say Alpine, Pioneer, or Clarion are good decks. They have some excellent quality units for reasonable prices depending on where you look. Good luck.
Cary
**Darren** 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for your help but I meant I had $250-300 Canadian dollars on a head unit. Thanks for your input

Darren

**Darren** 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  

sorry I meant to type i had $250-300 Canadian dollars to spent on a head unit it sucks you cant edit your posts

Darren

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic