icon

Boston pros and PPI

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ejpristia 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2003 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
I have a pair of boston pro series 5.25 components running off of a PPI A404 amp. I am only using this amp as a two channel at the moment. The amp is rated at 50X4. The crossover networks for the components have one input coming in from the amp for both the tweeter and midrange output. I was wondering how I could wire the amp, since there is only one imput for both the tweeter and the midrange, so that I am using the other 2-channels of the amp(Basically using half the amp for the tweets and half the amp for the midbass). I think I am just too underpowered with only 50 watts going to these speakers. The bostons can handle a lot of juice rms. Any help would be appreciated.
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2003 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
you could do this two different ways...
you could bridge the amp down and run one side off the front channel and one side off the rear channel...to do this you would use the positive left front terminal on the amp and the negative right front channel for the left speakers and then do the same on the rear for the right speakers...doing this, you wont have balance in a traditional manner, you will have to use the front and rear fader controls of the deck to balance the speakers...
the second way (and the one I personally would use) would be to set the high pass crossover on the amp itself at about 3500 Hz and use the rear channels to power the midrange drivers (thereby bypassing the Boston crossover for the speakers) and then use the front channels on the tweeters through the Boston crossovers...the only problem in doing this is you need some sort of crossover for the low end on the midrange speakers so they dont receive signal lower than 100-150Hz...that wouldnt be a problem for me because I have another crossover, but it may be for you unless you have a spare crossover (or a crossover built in to your deck...)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic