what am i doing wrong? faulty rca outs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mb448 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
What I have: Alpine INE-W927HD HU, Alpine PDX-M12 & PDX-F4
Install everything to find sub not getting bass. TEST EVERYTHING. rear rca outs to the pdx-m12 produce bass, sub rca outs do nothing.
is it possible that head unit is defective or that one set of rca outs would just stop working?
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2013 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
Silly question...Is the subwoofer setting in the head unit turned on?
To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
mwmiat 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2013 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  

First thing is check the radio settings. This has happened to me before... more than once.

If you have voltage at the rear preout chances are the sub preout is functioning properly.

mb448 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
Yes the subwoofer setting is turned on, i re-tested the sub rca outs on the headunit again yesterday morning and now magically it all works.
I purchased a dual 2 ohm voice coil swr-1522d 15" type r subwoofer because i wanted a 2 ohm sub, turns out it can only be wired for 1 ohm or 4 ohm.
It says my pdx-m12 is 2 ohm and 4 ohm stable at 1200w rms but i feel like i'm only getting half the power since my sub is wired at 4 ohms. I don't really understand ohms that well so I could be wrong.
mb448 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
mwmiat wrote:

First thing is check the radio settings. This has happened to me before... more than once.

If you have voltage at the rear preout chances are the sub preout is functioning properly.

yeah that's what i thought too, they are all attached to the same harness that plugs into the back of the deck, i tested the sub rca outs with my multimeter and it showed them outputting signal.. plugged the rca cables back in, and it worked.. and they are jl rca cables, they are tight af so i know they were plugged in all the way...
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2013 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
if your rca's are tight then you need to find some slack or buy longer rca's, its only a matter of time before they break internally and chances are they already have and you just happen to have a connection right now so you get bass but my bet is that your rca wires are broken internally.
to test, all you have to do is wiggle the rca wires around while the system is on. if your audio cuts off at any time or makes noises as you move the wires and wiggle the plugs around then something is either broken or loose
mb448 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2013 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
By tight I meant the male end of the 18' jl rca cable into the female end of the harness on the head unit. They fit securely together so it's not like it fell out or anything.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2013 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
it doesnt matter which end is tight, if it is tight then you need to find some slack somewhere so its not tight. it doesnt take much to mess up a set of RCA's or the rca jacks on the radio. if your problem pops back up then that would be the first thing i would check.
mb448 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2013 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
bro, you're not reading what i typed, there is plenty of slack in the RCA cables, the connections are tight, secure, not loose, etc..
the problem has solved itself, i'll be posting a separate thread for my impedance issue, thanks for all the quick responses.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic