icon

continuity issue full rewire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeres55chevy 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2013 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
I'm in the process of a complete rewire of my 55 chevy pickup. Most of the wires are routed, connected and what not. I decided to test my turn signal indicators and found something odd. I had continuity between the front left and front right turn signals. These are isolated leads that don't run through a fusebox, or anything. The only theory i have is that there is a ground loop of sorts causing the multimeter to pick up its signal as it passes down one wire, through the bulb, to ground through the other bulb and back up the other wire. I just can't think of how to test this or fix it. Any ideas?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 12, 2013 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
Are you sure you are not checking the parking lamps? They are common with each other.
jeres55chevy 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2013 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
No, I'm checking the turn signal wires under the dash. I installed a complete head to tail rewire so I know its the turn signal wires.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2013 at 2:29 AM / IP Logged  
You can't go +ve thru a bulb to GND and up another bulb to +ve.
The only way that can happen is if the GND does not exist (ie, is a resistance similar to or higher than the bulb resistance(s)).
That is a ground fault or break - not a ground loop.
And it is the reason some dual-filament bulbs circuits act funny - eg, a combined 7/21W tail/stop bulb with no GND works fine as a tail, or looks like a tail when only the stop lights are on, or the bulb extinguishes totally when both tail & brakes are on.
In other cases (including single filament bulbs), a ground break can light entire banks of lamps (but dimmer than normal).
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 13, 2013 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
Why are you measuring continuity? What is the resistance?
If you measure the resistance from one turn signal trigger wire to the other turn signal trigger wire you are correct they are connected but through 2 resistors (light bulbs). If you want to verify that is what you are seeing measure the resistance and if it is above 20 ohms or so you know you have some sort of load connecting them. To further verify it is the bulbs connecting the circuits together through their common ground remove one of the light bulbs - this should cause the circuit to "open" up.
Kevin Pierson
jeres55chevy 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2013 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
I'm using the continuity setting on a multi-meter to check for shorts?
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2013 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  
DMM Continuity tests usually indicate "continuity" for a resistance under ~50 Ohms.
Light bulbs of 3W and higher are below 50 Ohms.
Hence as KP wrote, if measuring continuity between left and right (flasher) light circuits, you will get "continuity" (unless the bulbs on at least one side are removed).
jeres55chevy 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2013 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  
Ok continuity test aside, if i connect a power wire to the left turn signal wire under the dash where the steering column wires attach to the main harness both front turn signals light up.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2013 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
Are they (both) full brightness?
If not, ensure they have a proper ground.
If they are, then their must be a bridge (short) across the 2 sides.
If a faulty ground, then removing one bulb should extinguish the other.
Are the rears ok? Usually the front & rears are connected together except if the flasher filaments serve dual functions (eg - rear flasher & stop or reverse; or front flasher and DRL etc).
If they are joined, you may have to remove both/all bulbs on one side to break the ground to the "powered" other side (assuming an other side ground fault). But it does depend on how they are wired - eg, dual filament bulbs, or shared ground wire, etc.
jeres55chevy 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2013 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
Rears are ok near as I can tell. not at home for a couple of days so I'll try these suggestions and post results in a couple of days. Thanks All.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic